What goose to get with ducks?

I agree with @MasterOfClucker no way I’d keep my geese penned up with ducks or chickens. Ornery is what mine are from Feb till June during breeding season. I just am not sure it would even be a good idea other times either. Mine roam a little over half acre during the day but my geese have their own house for sleeping

I agree with @MasterOfClucker no way I’d keep my geese penned up with ducks or chickens. Ornery is what mine are from Feb till June during breeding season. I just am not sure it would even be a good idea other times either. Mine roam a little over half acre during the day but my geese have their own house for sleeping

Mine are getting crotchety and I just moved them into their own pen today.

Usually they do fine with the other birds, but during breeding season they get a bit cranky, lol.

I have to keep my geese in a different coop during nighttime too, during the day they range together with no problems, I used to pen them up together at night, but then my gander ripped off a call ducks back feathers. Keeping them penned up at night with ducks is a pain especially during the breeding season.

As far as geese behavior during "breeding season" is that just the males or both genders?
I wouldn't recommend keeping ducks and geese in the same pen/coop, geese in springtime can wreak havoc. Most geese are going to be loud, especially ganders.
Noted.
I was thinking this may be the case (husbandry and noise).
Going to have to think twice about geese, don't really want to be "that" neighbor.
Also not sure about a second coop, don't really have the space.

Chickens are not an issue as we don't have any and do not plan on having any.

Thanks everyone, this is a wealth of information.

I'm liking the look of those Oregon Mini Geese, If we really wanted them, I suppose I'd have to expand the coop or build a replacement.
Had considered a larger split one in case we decided to add a male duck down the road.

One thing I thought about is...geese are large and a hawk will think twice before attacking them...a mini goose might not intimidate a hawk at all. People fear geese for good reason. :)

I don't think you need separate coops ...since a regular sized goose can't hop around like a chicken, all you need is a wide board on its narrow end to keep them on their own side. I used open bar holders raised up a little bit...like these:
1586199767510.jpeg

As far as geese behavior during "breeding season" is that just the males or both genders?

Noted.
I was thinking this may be the case (husbandry and noise).
Going to have to think twice about geese, don't really want to be "that" neighbor.
Also not sure about a second coop, don't really have the space.

Chickens are not an issue as we don't have any and do not plan on having any.

Thanks everyone, this is a wealth of information.

I'm liking the look of those Oregon Mini Geese, If we really wanted them, I suppose I'd have to expand the coop or build a replacement.
Had considered a larger split one in case we decided to add a male duck down the road.

Males exhibit the most aggressive behavior during springtime, females will occasionally be aggressive , just not as much as the males.

One thing I thought about is...geese are large and a hawk will think twice before attacking them...a mini goose might not intimidate a hawk at all. People fear geese for good reason. :)

This was the initial impetus for wanting a goose, and because of our limited enclosure size, I was thinking just one "normal" sized goose would do.
But then I started thinking about noise, and people said "you can't just have one" so space and neighborly considerations are now in play.

We live in Red-Tailed country, and we had a Prairie Falcon as a regular visitor to our pond last year.
At first I thought there was no way something that small could get a duck, then I found this video:
Though I believe we don't have the proper flight lines for an attack flight, I understand they need quite a long run up due to their speed on impact.

I don't think you need separate coops ...since a regular sized goose can't hop around like a chicken, all you need is a wide board on its narrow end to keep them on their own side. I used open bar holders raised up a little bit...like these:

As far as keeping them separate, I don't think that would stop ducks (no chickens here) going on the goose side of the coop though I guess they could flee back to their side for cover.

EDIT: Fixed video link

Last edited:
This was the initial impetus for wanting a goose, and because of our limited enclosure size, I was thinking just one "normal" sized goose would do.
But then I started thinking about noise, and people said "you can't just have one" so space and neighborly considerations are now in play.

We live in Red-Tailed country, and we had a Prairie Falcon as a regular visitor to our pond last year.
At first I thought there was no way something that small could get a duck, then I found this video:
Prairie Falcon takes out a drake mallard
Though I believe we don't have the proper flight lines for an attack flight, I understand they need quite a long run up due to their speed on impact.
As far as keeping them separate, I don't think that would stop ducks (no chickens here) going on the goose side of the coop though I guess they could flee back to their side for cover.
Video didn't load for me but I couldn't watch it anyway. I did see a video of a hawk attacking a goose too, so it's not impossible for it to happen.
Oh yeah you have ducks. The divider should work on them as well but I just bought ducks after a long hiatus so I don't remember how well they can hop over obstacles. Right now they are quite agile at their baby stage. Actually right now the goose and chickens sleep together at night, but of course the chickens roost up high. As long as she is not laying an egg or protecting an egg and the food/water is separated, my goose is not mean to them.

Although I plan to separate them...I just moved so we are not set up yet.

You could always get a couple of goats.

Back
Top Bottom