What got my chicken?

boogins

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Oklahoma City
I had 6 chickens and 2 were finally laying. I am out of town so my neighbor is taking care of them. Last night she went over at dusk but they were still in the yard, so she left and went back about an hour later and something got one of my hens (that was laying). She said there were feathers all over but the chicken was ripped open with it's guts hanging out. Any idea what got her? I live in town but on a big lot with a bunch mature trees and we live about 1/2 mile from a lake. We haven't ever seen any raccoons, but have seen a little skunk.

Last edited:
Most likely raccoon, skunk or opossum.

One doesn't have to see predators, they're there.

One doesn't normally skulk about their yard at night with night vision glasses when the predators are about.

Thanks. I put Christmas lights around their coop on a dusk-dawm timer. I'm going to do the same with a radio. I have a live trap but the bandit stole the bait w/o setting it off!

I had 6 chickens and 2 were finally laying. I am out of town so my neighbor is taking care of them. Last night she went over at dusk but they were still in the yard, so she left and went back about an hour later and something got one of my hens (that was laying). She said there were feathers all over but the chicken was ripped open with it's guts hanging out. Any idea what got her? I live in town but on a big lot with a bunch mature trees and we live about 1/2 mile from a lake. We haven't ever seen any raccoons, but have seen a little skunk.
Sounds to me like you have a problem with a neighbor's dog.

Not all predators read the book and act like they are supposed to, but they do tend to follow a pattern. You are looking at it, I’m not, so you might find something in these links that will help you identify it. The first one gives a very brief quick look, the second is more detailed.

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2111/ANSI-8204web.pdf

http://www.extension.org/pages/7120...mall-and-backyard-poultry-flocks#.VDQPcxEtCUk

At that time of day and with those results it could be several different things. Could you tell if anything had been eaten or were there any tracks or maybe poop around that could help you identify it? Those can all be clues. It’s also possible something frightened it away before it got around to eating.

I don’t know where you live but in that setting you could have about any predator. You’d be surprised how many bobcat, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, skunks, possums, and many more live in the middle of town, especially along creek beds or in parks. I’ve seen raccoons use storm sewers as safe highway’s from their dens to their hunting grounds in the middle of suburbia.

Back
Top Bottom