What got you into chickens?

my grandparents had chickens when i was really little, but when i was 5 or 6 they had to sell off the last og theirs bc they were getting too old to take care of them and take care of the rest of the farm. i really missed them.
so, for the last few years we have been moving around and couldnt get any animals besides out house cats and small dogs. when we moved back to MO we found a nice 76acre farm to rent with a coop and got permision to use it. so, we fixed it up and got some chicks a few weeks ago! i am a huge animal fanatic so i am pretty happy!

i like the big variety chickens have to offer, it's like the only animal that you can have one of each color or one of each breed and not be overcrowded or financially burdened, they are easy to breed, hatching is fun and they give you eggs to eat

I grew up with them. But then I moved away, and slowly over the course of several years have got the chicken bug. Now I'm just waiting for the house to sell so I can move somewhere that I can have chickens. They're so comforting, with their contented clucking. And fun when they see a bug and all run around like mad to get it. And you never waste food, 'cause it goes to them. Oh, and the fresh eggs. And them taking dust baths. And watching jaws drop with you casually stroll over and pick one up, and it cuddles. And explaining your colorful egg basket.

So many things to love about chickens, someone buy the house so I can get some before summer!

Well, I haven't gotten chickens yet, but what got me into them started with my friend in second grade bringing his three chicks into school. Then in fourth grade my sisters friend was raising chicks in her room. And then in fifth grade, what REALLY got my into them was going to my moms freinds house and playing with her 7 RIRs. And her I am, still in fifth grade, buying chicken coop plans and looking for places that sell chicks.

Bugs and I am not kidding. We built on virgin land that was mostly forest/ woods. We have a big bug problem, hence getting chickens is good bug control. Also I have had free range chciken eggs when I lived in PA I know how sweet they taste. So I really have two reasons.
smile.png

My daughter got me into chickens. She begged and begged for some and finally I broke down and our 1st chickens were a pair of silkies a roo and hen. Fell inlove with them and have been raising them every since thats been over a year ago we still have the hen we 1st got but have rehomed the roo a few months ago due to he was eating the eggs. Now we have lots of silkies counting all adults and chicks we have 18 silkies.

The kids..We had had a layer flock of EEs and Ameraucanas for years but went to a fair to see if we could find a replacement hen when we lost our favorite. My DS#1 saw Frizzles for the first time and has been obsessed ever since. My DD lost her heart to Silkies paid $8.00 of her own money for one and walked around the fair with it like she was an exhibitor. I watched her across the room talking to other kids about her new bird and realized that for those kids, this might be the only chance they get to have contact with animals. Now that they have really gotten into it I hope they love their chickens and sharing them with people for a long time.

My first pet when I was six was a parakeet named Twinkletoes. I had her for 7 years, she'd ride around the house on my head. Before I had kids, I had as many as 4 parakeets at a time.
I'm not really sure why I wanted chickens in the first place except for the natural eggs, but I've wanted them for 30 years. The last few years I've just been reading and researching them and am toally fascinated.
I finally have my first chickies - 10 EEs, 9 BOs and 3 mysteries. Thanks to BYC, I feel confident enough to do this!

Back
Top Bottom