What grammatical error drives you nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not grammar, but mis-spelled words make me a maniac. I drove into town the other day, and there was a nice new, probably expensive, sign, outside of a gas station that said "Machanic on Duty".
barnie.gif

Quote:
The double negative is a bunch of hogwash. SOME MAN wrote a grammar book and decided he didn't like the sound of the double negative. It then became a way for those that could read to differentiate themselves from those that could not read (think social class prejudice) Many languages use the double negative to emphasize the negative.

I will go back and look at the links you posted, but it makes sense to me that a double negative isn't proper. After all, adding the second negative changes the meaning of the sentence. If you don't got no eggs, you obviously have some eggs. If you don't have any eggs, I know I can't buy them from you today.

Oh ....

Your and you're

There, their, and they're

To, too, two

Where, wear, ware

Bare, bear

Here, hear

I guess it's all the "sound alike" words ..

And have you ever wondered why we type "ya'll" for the contraction YOU ALL. The contractoin for YOU ALL should be y'all ....
idunno.gif

"Just Sayin'"

Here's one that really bothers me (well I admit bad spelling and grammar does bother me).

rein/reign

Your horse does not have 'reigns' on his bridle. He has reins, the Queen reigns.

You cannot 'reign in' anything unless you are the Queen.

I have a good friend who is severely dyslexic, and while he would have every excuse in the world to have bad spelling, he will e-mail me important documents to look over for him before he sends them out (e.g. his resume or text for his website). He has so much trouble that spell-check often cannot understand what he means or will replace a word with the wrong word. I like doing it for him, and it's a credit to him that he takes that much trouble.

In most cases though just re-reading something or a simple spell-check is all that is needed.

Last edited:
Quote:
ABSOLUTELY!! I was in Craigslist yesterday. I can't STAND someone who is trying to sell a "whatever" but doesn't know how to spell it..
barnie.gif

For instance:

Palemino Philly
smack.gif

Last edited:
We have a plague of 'chichuahuas', 'chiuauas' and 'chiwawas' on our local Craigslist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom