What gun do I want?

I've been finding the same thing Bear, either the animals have gotten harder to kill, or people are opting for something stronger (then something stronger yet to make up for the flinching and lack of control) instead of waiting for that perfect shot. Dead is dead, and bing around my BF who strives to prove that these smaller guns kill just fine I have never seen him having to track a single thing. Shot placement is to me the #1 factor.

Quote:
Ok, I'll admit it...you are actually one of the ones that I completely agree with. I don't think 7mm-08 is ideal for the largest of animals when there's options like the 7mm and 30-06...I'd rather take out my brother's 45-70 and have too much than too little. Oh and that 7mm mag is not what I normally carry, I can't physically carry that heavy of a gun up and down the hills here, I was at the house and shooting about 300 yards I believe...it was either the 7mm mag or the .300, neither of which have any sort of buffer. Once I get myself a deer rifle that I will use every year I have every intention of getting a recoil pad.

TwistedSerpent, I never even thought about the arm length thing...I have very long limbs and I even have a better reach than some people that are taller than I am.

The ex-boyfriend recommended a 308 for me. I shot a 30-06, hunted bear with a 7mm 08 and used the .243 for deer season. If he thinks that I can handle a 308, then I know that I can, because he's the guy that bought me a 20g shotgun to be safe on the recoil, while his brother insisted that I get a 12g. Youth models are definately what I need. I have trouble with adult models, especially when trying to crawl through brush, lol. My chances of actually getting an elk tag are slim to none. Bear tags are unlimited I think, as well as buck tags (of course, they come with your actual license). I plan to get a .22 for shoots'n'giggles, maybe a .22-250. That'll be for groundhogs, bobcats, chippies and other random small game that you don't need a shotgun for. Not sure if I want the .22 or the .22-250, to be honest. The guys all use the .22-250, and I know that it can be used for smaller game up to at least deer. Anyways, I do realise that shot placement is key. I don't take random shots, I want a one shot kill, without spining the animal. I'm fine with a short distance run, but nothing more than a short distance, and a sure kill is a definate necessity. Not to mention that the guts stink bad enough without actually hitting them, so I definately wait to get a good shot. BUT, as I said, even with a good shot placement, I want a one shot kill. Throat, lungs/chest are where I aim, but I want it dropped, especially if I'm a little off in aim and get the dreaded gut shot. I'm a good aim on paper, but a live animal is a different story, and since I've never had a chance where I was actually able to shoot anything larger than a squirrel, I don't know how well I will actually do in a real hunting experience. So, basically, I want to get the largest gun that I can handle properly and be comfortable with. I'll probably be doing a lot of stand hunting this year, since my dad's family have all invited me into their stands, but I also want to be able to do stalk and shoot style, so I don't want a massive or heavy gun that'll wear me out faster than my chunky torso will. It'd certainly make things much easier if you could "test drive" a gun before buying, lol.

Quote:
Yeah, definately don't want to spend that! I don't like $600! Lol. I'll probably take Andy with me and just go to a few stores and pick something out. At least now I have a few things in mind, and with him there, we'll be able to find something that'll fit my needs and my budget, lol.

308 would be a good cal weather its a ar 10 or another gun completly juat as long is it a 308

Quote:
Yeah, definately don't want to spend that! I don't like $600! Lol. I'll probably take Andy with me and just go to a few stores and pick something out. At least now I have a few things in mind, and with him there, we'll be able to find something that'll fit my needs and my budget, lol.

Quote:
I just realized you're in PA, yes the bear tags are easy to get...however, bobcats need a permit and I think even chipmunks are illegal to hunt. I just got myself a brand new .22 for squirrel season, if you want a fun plinking gun, definitely get one.

Just a thought when you go gun shopping... Savage has been making guns for a LONG time, and for many they have been a notch or two below other manufacturers where their rifles were concerned, but in recent years they have really gotten better, especially in their triggers and barrels. They are relatively inexpensive, and make lots of different models in .22, .17HMR (a great round for squirrels, etc), .22 mag (a good one for squirrels and slightly bigger stuff as well), and of course all the centerfire calibers you speak of, .22-250, .308, etc.

They have synthetic stocks as well as walnut, and laminates.

Pete

A note on the youth models, any competent gunsmith can turn your gun into a youth length and add a very comfortable recoil pad. An old trick to is to have a hole drilled in the stock and filled with lead shot. The combination of the shot and the pad lesson recoil. Proper stock length and grip do a lot to lesson the felt effects of recoil also.

The 308 and 30-06 in factory ammunition are very close to the same performance. The 30-06 has great flexibility with hand-loads because it can be loaded for guns with good steel. The 30-06 is like the 45-70, factory rounds are loaded for guns built with milder steel as the round that has been around for awhile. If you are wanting a youth size gun and sticking to factory ammo go with the 308 as the action is shorter. A good inexpensive gun with a lot of flexibility is the H&R single shot, in can be had in youth model and the reciever can be sent back to be fitted with barrels of different caliber. Single shots are not for everybody, but with the good ejection on the H&R I can get a second shot off just as fast as most people can operate a bolt. Besides I like the safety of having a exposed hammer.

I have a .280 remington mountain rifle it's light weight and does the job for anything I hunt. Have shot alot of bears and I borrow it out to my sister inlaw when she has a bear tag she has killed two so far and one was over 530 lbs. I also have shot alot of deer and elk with it and is very accurate.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom