What Guns Do You Keep On Hand?

My barn gun is a Rossi .22 pump rifle. Nothing fancy, but does a fine job on raccoons and opossum. I'd like a .22 pistol as well but it hasn't been a priority yet.

2 ruger .22 lr 1 in barn and 1 in mud room. mostly raccoon, groundhogs, and possum and a occasional feral cat.
Groundhogs i hate kill them onsite, otherwise if the possum raccoon leave everything alone they live happy life.
Bobcats are around, but not to common. Bear not very common either. Feral cats I usually do not bother with. They usually move on after awhile. Then there is the occasional sickly looking ones or start taking to much attention to chickens.

I live in grizzly country. We have a safe full of hunting rifles and shotguns - but the first thing I'd reach for if there was a predator near my coop would be my bear spray. If you don't live in grizz country its not common to find though.

1. Hazing is better than killing.
2. The evidence in favour of spray vs a gun to get a bear gone is not refutable imo. They can take multiple shots before succumbing and I am not interested in having a hungry injured bear hanging around.

2 ruger .22 lr 1 in barn and 1 in mud room. mostly raccoon, groundhogs, and possum and a occasional feral cat.
Groundhogs i hate kill them onsite, otherwise if the possum raccoon leave everything alone they live happy life.
Bobcats are around, but not to common. Bear not very common either. Feral cats I usually do not bother with. They usually move on after awhile. Then there is the occasional sickly looking ones or start taking to much attention to chickens.
I might add I do have other guns. Hunting and protection. Those I do not keep on hand or readily available as the 22s.

We have larger predators. It is almost always raccoons. That gets the dogs barking and me outside in the middle of the night. So a .22 magnum revolver is usually what I take to investigate. Thankfully my coops are well built. So the dogs usually have whatever it is. Ran off before I make it all the way out to the coops. If there are signs that the predator was having some success getting into a coop. I will set a trap, in case it returns.

I live in grizzly country. We have a safe full of hunting rifles and shotguns - but the first thing I'd reach for if there was a predator near my coop would be my bear spray. If you don't live in grizz country its not common to find though.

1. Hazing is better than killing.
2. The evidence in favour of spray vs a gun to get a bear gone is not refutable imo. They can take multiple shots before succumbing and I am not interested in having a hungry injured bear hanging around.
Or it could take 1 well placed shot.

You can have the spray. I'll take the 00 buck. Rather have that as a bear is rapidly approaching then a can of spray.

You can have the spray. I'll take the 00 buck.
Animated GIF

Back
Top Bottom