What happened here?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ruth, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Today is the first day I've logged on in about three weeks. I had to take a break and wanted to share why. I first found this site in May shortly after getting my first batch of baby chicks. I began posting in July. It was such a fun and nice site, mainly devoted to chickens and postings by kind and helpful chicken owners who also had new baby chicks. Then we all moved into the "first egg" phase and that was fun too. But recently moods and tone began to change. Names were being called and tempers were flaring. Threads were getting deleted or locked. Posts were being deleted or edited down to nothing so that the entire thread no longer made any sense. All because people couldn't/wouldn't control their tempers and typing. Some act like spoiled little kids threatening to take their toys and go home while all the while firing back retorts. Others take offense at every little thing and accuse others of picking on them. Others have started to sound like Chevy Chase and Jane Curtain when Chevy used to say "Jane you ignorant sl_ _ ".

My point is that I miss the friendly site this used to be. The one where admins and mods weren't having to lock/delete threads. I was embarrased at what happened to a first thread that one brand new person posted that ended up with name calling and all sorts of ugliness.

Now that I've logged back on I see that not much has changed and there are many more locked threads. Some are getting upset that they can no longer delete their posts even though they can still edit it down to nothing which makes the thread unintelligible. I'd like to ask everyone to please think before you post. If you want/need/love arguing get on a political forum. I used to come to this site, especially late at night, because it felt homey and comfortable and I could read the posts here instead of watching the nightly news which I always found upsetting. However, it's getting to where listening to the nightly news about how many more people were shot to death in New Orleans today is less upsetting than watching the people on this forum attack one another or act like spoiled children.

I know I just opened myself up for attack but really felt like I needed to say something. I miss the forum I came to love and couldn't wait to log on and see what was going on. I hope it can return to that but I know that the more posts that are argumentative, the more it encourages others to speak out fearlessly and boldly in their anonymity only to delete or edit it later.

2. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I totally agree!! there is a place for the dramas and it isnt here. This is a lovely place to visit and discuss our chickens
    I hope the new people here arent feeling worried about posting, pls ask anything, theres only a few people here that are not scared to speak their mind, but the rest of us will be very gentle!!!!promise.

3. Royicus

Royicus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Western Oregon
    Heh, a thread like this pops up in cycles. I'd say the period is around one month or so. Such is the nature of internet forums.

4. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    I suppose I might as well chime in while this thread still remains open.
    You have expressed how you feel and are upset, so the timer is ticking on this thread.
    Personally, anonymity has nothing to do with expressing myself,
    I am who I am, in person or here on the internet; if I have a point of view, it is my hope that people can respect that and if they have an opposeing point of view, then I am not offended if they express it.
    Recently there was a small debate about chicken emotions, in that discussion elderoo was of a different point of view then myself, however, I respect that and do not let it deture me from the debate.
    In the end of that post, I don't beleive that anyone was upset, and peoples views were heard.

Personally, I am more offended by having a thread closed just because opposeing points of view are expressed.

There are ways to keep a Debate or Discussion under control, and there are ways to inflame them.
    I can't say more without assureing that this thread gets locked, so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for letting me butt in [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would have to say that I usually stay out of things. The reason I think a lot of threads have been closeds is not necessarily due to opposing view points, but rather a few individuals who take it personally and escalate the issue to flaming others rather than taking it to the other person via email.

6. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Tempers flare from time to time in any forum. Such is human nature. But this remains one of the friendliest forums I've been on. People have to remember that on the net one doesn't get much body language, and smileys don't really cut it. Because of that, one can't take stuff personally. My skin has thickened since I started frequenting forums, for the better I think.

I'm sorry some posts have driven you away. I hope it's not permanent! Tempers flare, but they also cool. I think things will get better.

7. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Hi!

Sorry.. changed my mind and deleting my post... [​IMG]

-Meghan

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  8. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Quote::mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    I argree the whole forum has been changing lately.
    but I bet this tread will be locked at 4:00 when I get out of school.Everytime someone would post a tread like this it gets locked so we will never get are probblem's straight so unfortunatly the forum will just esculate into nothing !!!!!!!

[​IMG] see yall peep's later

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If you look at it this way...
    The kids are back in school so some of the moms and dads that have had the summer off are working again.
    The Holidays are coming up and prices are going through the roof on things.
    Gas is $3 a Gallon
    Milk is almost $5 a Gallon
    Our paychecks are the only things that are NOT going up...
    Sometimes us oldsters just need to vent to an anonymous ear.
    I will admit that sometimes folks can take things the wrong way. that's because we can't see each other face to face or read the body language.

Take heart that these things DO blow over and things get back to "normal"
    You have to be adult enough to think before you type especially since there ARE kids that come on here and not say anything that you wouldn't say to your 90 year old grandmother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by