What Happened to My Chick? GRAPHIC

MediGirl1987

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2015
Salmo, BC
Ok today is Day 22 and I candled and tapped my eggs as well as did the float test. Almost all my eggs were unpipped internally. No chirps. And the float test showed viable eggs with only one wiggling away. This egg was visibly wiggling away at lockdown. It was my egg that I thought would be the first one out. It stopped moving on Day 19. No internal pip was found on eggtopsy and this is my first hatch and eggtopsy. Was humidity to high? The outer membrane was white no super dry looking but I really have no idea what to look for. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Is the head tucked under the left wing? When reading about quail there was a note that head position should be under the right wing. Anything else was abnormal, and could be caused by a variety of things. Perhaps this holds true for chicks as well?

My suggestion as an unseasoned poultry farmer would be to research causes for abnormal embryo development, and think very objectively about my processes.

The head was tucked under the right wing. It had not pipped internally so I am not sure what happened. The internal membrane wasn't dry from what I could tell. The outside white one was maybe a little dry but it didn't get a chance to try pipping externally yet.

Back
Top Bottom