What happened to my chicken's tail?

User582339

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2020
Hoping someone can tell me what's happening with my 21 week old EE's tail.
When we got her and her sisters she was missing her feathers on her low back just above the tail. They filled in and where beautiful (see pic taken Sept 24th). Then a few weeks ago she started developing a curve, or hump, to the saddle area. Now her tail feathers seem pushed down (see pic from today, Nov 19th). She seems fine otherwise, eating, drinking, scratching, preening. I checked her vent and seems fine. I'm new to chickens and haven't been able to find anything on the web that looks anything like her tail transformation.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20201119_115221.jpg
    20201119_115221.jpg
    622.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201119_115254.jpg
    20201119_115254.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 14
That looks normal enough to me. The set of the tail changes as a chicken grows. In addition, a chicken can change how they hold their tail whenever they want, often according to mood. Beautiful lady!

Hoping someone can tell me what's happening with my 21 week old EE's tail.
When we got her and her sisters she was missing her feathers on her low back just above the tail. They filled in and where beautiful (see pic taken Sept 24th). Then a few weeks ago she started developing a curve, or hump, to the saddle area. Now her tail feathers seem pushed down (see pic from today, Nov 19th). She seems fine otherwise, eating, drinking, scratching, preening. I checked her vent and seems fine. I'm new to chickens and haven't been able to find anything on the web that looks anything like her tail transformation.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you looked underneath those feathers to make sure the skin is looking o.k., no cysts, lice/mites, air bubbles or discoloration of the skin?

Is she able to hold her tail up at all?

She's pretty jumpy so only got a chance to look at her vent.
Have you looked underneath those feathers to make sure the skin is looking o.k., no cysts, lice/mites, air bubbles or discoloration of the skin?

Is she able to hold her tail up at all?

Only got a chance to look at her vent. She's pretty jumpy. will look tonight underneath the feathers. But when I grazed it it didn't feel like there was anything underneath it. We'll see what I find tonight.

That looks normal enough to me. The set of the tail changes as a chicken grows. In addition, a chicken can change how they hold their tail whenever they want, often according to mood. Beautiful lady!
That makes me feel better. I'll take a good look under there tonight just to make sure her skin is ok. TY!

Wanted to update this post in case anyone else comes across a chicken with a slow tail decline. 2 days ago Baggett started isolating herself a little, standing in the corner of the run, etc. Still eating and drinking, but not eating as vigorously. Stopped scratching at the ground and acts like I'm killing her if I try to lift her tail. Gave her a spa day yesterday and made a vet appointment. Just got home and the vet believes it's either a tumor or more likely trauma. I can't figure out how it was traumatized, but he felt most likely this was the issue. All I can do is wait and see if she declines or carries on. I'll give her another warm bath today hopefully to ease any tail discomfort after her exam.

Back
Top Bottom