What happened to my hen?! Fine until mating.

ManWithChicks

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
So, I let my chickens "free range" for about 1 - 2 hours most evenings.

Last evening my rooster was very, excited to be our of the run....

well he was servicing, or attempting to service all 5 of my hens.

Most of the time they would succumb to his forcefulness, or run away sqawacking.

Anyhow, this particular hen, who we call "Little-Red" (who just started laying in the last 5 days or so), was serviced once, and still kept diogging and acting normal,,,

She was serviced again about 5 minutes later... after that she was acting like a zombie. She was the slowest hen, when before the top 3. I havent heard her make loud calls like she normally does, after laying an egg, or when someone else is in nesting box.

Today she has roosted on the only large roowst in their run, when most of them are pacing back and forth waiting for me.

Her neck is short and held down low, closing eyes. She still eats, but at like 1/2 speed of the rest. You guys would understand.

ABout 20 minutes after 2nd mating, she moved out of her first zombie dont move spot, close eyes spot, and held her wings out for about 20 seconds. Then she pooped a small runny poop.

no idea what has happened since accept that she is still very much lethargic, closing eyes,

Any ideas on what I should look for?
Im very new and just hatched these chicken in july with zero experience.
She was one of the most acitve and spunky hens until just last evening!

No idea if she has laid since, no idea if she has actually laid.
she looked a litle full this morning, as in her crop was large before I went out to feed them. That being said, they were in their run and awak for an hour before I fed them.

Sorry, I dont know whats important, or if Im overreacting. But I just want to act fast if I must!

It is possible that she is sick, but she might be acting funny because she was hurt or she could be eggbound. I would get her off the roost, and take her inside. Put on a disposable glove and insert a lubed finger 1-2 inches inside her vent for a stuck egg. If you have a vitamin/electrolyte such as Poultry NutriDrench or similar, offer her a few sips or give her 1/2 ml via a dropper several times, letting her swallow.

Feel of her crop to feel if it is full and hard or puffy, or if it is empty. Look her over for any lice or mites under her vent. And, look her over for any cuts under her wings or other signs of injury.

Last edited:
Late update, but just in case anyone cared or for future searches.
She acted weird for a day and a half, then she started acting my normal and laid what I think is a body checked egg. Here is a photo I took of egg.
20200130_124656.jpg

I dont know if it broke in her(or if even possible) when the rooster mounted her that 2and time, like I said, she was fine one minute and zombie the next.

She laid another egg that looked a little bit "body checked" a day or two later. But now they look better, although powdery bloom compared to others.

Anyhow, she is doing fine now! Thanks for all help and suggestions. I'll keep this post in mind in the future.

Back
Top Bottom