What happened to my hen?

myfivehens

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
We typically free range our chickens unless we're going to be gone for an extended period of time. Last night I went to lock up our coop and one of our girls was missing (Full size austrolorp). I've walked around our yard (about 2 acres) and no sign of feathers, carcass, or anything. My neighbor said she had a hawk get a couple of hers but I don't know if she actually saw it or if that's just what she assumed. Would a hawk carry off a full sized hen with no trace left behind? We're in GA if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help you can offer!

We typically free range our chickens unless we're going to be gone for an extended period of time. Last night I went to lock up our coop and one of our girls was missing (Full size austrolorp). I've walked around our yard (about 2 acres) and no sign of feathers, carcass, or anything. My neighbor said she had a hawk get a couple of hers but I don't know if she actually saw it or if that's just what she assumed. Would a hawk carry off a full sized hen with no trace left behind? We're in GA if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help you can offer!
No probably not, but several other predators would....fox, coyote, wild cat.

Well, we finally found the feathers in our neighbors yard. No carcass just a bunch of feathers. At least now I won't be waiting around for her to show back up. Probably coyote or dog :(

Back
Top Bottom