1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happened to my hen?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by myfivehens, Dec 1, 2013.

1. myfivehens

myfivehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    We typically free range our chickens unless we're going to be gone for an extended period of time. Last night I went to lock up our coop and one of our girls was missing (Full size austrolorp). I've walked around our yard (about 2 acres) and no sign of feathers, carcass, or anything. My neighbor said she had a hawk get a couple of hers but I don't know if she actually saw it or if that's just what she assumed. Would a hawk carry off a full sized hen with no trace left behind? We're in GA if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help you can offer!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No probably not, but several other predators would....fox, coyote, wild cat.

3. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

OR, again the broody thing, a hen can be very sleigh, and can hide herself with her eggs

4. myfivehens

Mar 7, 2013
    Well, we finally found the feathers in our neighbors yard. No carcass just a bunch of feathers. At least now I won't be waiting around for her to show back up. Probably coyote or dog :(

5. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for the lost,

6. myfivehens

Mar 7, 2013
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by