What happened to the blood veins in the eggs?

Hi all

Hoping someone can gsive me some advice. I have chooks ducks and geese they all share a pen. I let them free range as much as possible but its hard with day time foxes being a problem :(

My 2 female ducks are sitting on nests in the pen and i want to build something around them so when they hatch they are safe from the rest of the flock. Does anyome have any diy ideas? Thanks in advance

Maybe you can Google "Duck Nesting Boxes" and search images. Then you can see all different kinds that people are using and decide then what would work best for your babies. There are so many different ways to set those up. I bet if you ask 100 people you would get 100 different answers. I have seen people use those plastic dog houses and put hay in there. You may just need to put some fencing up on one corner and just box the mama in there with her babies. There are some great videos on youtube also for setting up hen houses and stuff. Good luck!

Hi all

Hoping someone can gsive me some advice. I have chooks ducks and geese they all share a pen. I let them free range as much as possible but its hard with day time foxes being a problem
sad.png

My 2 female ducks are sitting on nests in the pen and i want to build something around them so when they hatch they are safe from the rest of the flock. Does anyome have any diy ideas? Thanks in advance

Are they first timers? Second, DON"T TOUCH THAT NEST, they will get off of it and quite on you... Once the babies are born, you shouldn't have a problem moving MOMMY and the babies together to a safe destination. Just skoot momma and the babies will follow.. Keep track of the days and make sure that NASTY fox doesn't get in there to eat her eggs.

Are they first timers?  Second, DON"T TOUCH THAT NEST, they will get off of it and quite on you... Once the babies are born, you shouldn't have a problem moving MOMMY and the babies together to a safe destination.  Just skoot momma and the babies will follow..  Keep track of the days and make sure that NASTY fox doesn't get in there to eat her eggs.

Yeah their first timers. I just though if i put a pen around them with food and water in there it would be safe. But if its easier to move them once hatched ill do that. Just worried the geese will attack them :( how many days do ducks take?

Maybe you can Google "Duck Nesting Boxes" and search images. Then you can see all different kinds that people are using and decide then what would work best for your babies. There are so many different ways to set those up. I bet if you ask 100 people you would get 100 different answers. I have seen people use those plastic dog houses and put hay in there. You may just need to put some fencing up on one corner and just box the mama in there with her babies. There are some great videos on youtube also for setting up hen houses and stuff. Good luck!

The problem is you can't move them right now. If the momma knows the nest has been messed with your risking the chance of her abandoning it. I know If I touch my call ducks nest just to candle the eggs, while momma is off to swim. Sure enough she quits. So I don't touch any nests anymore..

When they leave the nest to go swimming they purposely bury the eggs, if they get unburied. UH OH!!!!

You see once a nest has been messed with they don't know if it's you or a preditor and so they will leave the nest. You could move the eggs but what may happen is momma will go back to the original nest. she most likely will not sit on a new nest. Ducks are very strict on who touches it. They go threw all that hard work, they don't need a second hand helper.. LOL

Yeah their first timers. I just though if i put a pen around them with food and water in there it would be safe. But if its easier to move them once hatched ill do that. Just worried the geese will attack them
sad.png
how many days do ducks take?

OK first timers, Do you have a bator?? First timers are NOT the best mommies, they usually quite before they hatch so be prepared, Once she has quit grab those eggs and do it yourself. Most of the work will be done for you so you just get to enjoy the hatching part.

Usually First timers will quit the Last week before they are due..

MOMMA will Protect those babies, if they are in harm way but you should move them just as soon as they start popping out. DON"T touch them, she's liable to rip your hands off. LOL... Just scoot them to a safer place.. It's the easiest way

Yeah their first timers. I just though if i put a pen around them with food and water in there it would be safe. But if its easier to move them once hatched ill do that. Just worried the geese will attack them
sad.png
how many days do ducks take?

What kind of Duck, normal 28 days

Indian runners
I have 4 geese and would never allow any of my Muscovy's and new hatchlings to be where the geese could get to them,

With my Scovy's once hatching begins I can move them I scoop as much of nest with eggs laying in the nest [I use a flat shovel] carry the nest and eggs to where I plan on letting mom care for them and then put there , then put mom in with them. close the door and let her be, I've never has one abandon her eggs doing it like this.I've also moved after just hatched too. I know my geese and can not trust them.

Last edited:
I have 4 geese and would never allow any of my Muscovy's and new hatchlings to be where the geese could get to them,

With my Scovy's once hatching begins I can move them I scoop as much of nest with eggs laying in the nest [I use a flat shovel] carry the nest and eggs to where I plan on letting mom care for them and then put there , then put mom in with them. close the door and let her be, I've never has one abandon her eggs doing it like this.I've also moved after just hatched too. I know my geese and can not trust them.

Shovel excellent idea. But remember this is a first time mommy. First timers are so iffy. Some are determined but most give up to early.

Back
Top Bottom