What happened to the chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by liz9910, Nov 2, 2012.

1. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Hi I have a broody on 5 eggs, hatch date is today or tomorrow. When I got home from work I saw an eggshell next to the nest, I looked under her and there was a chick that had hatched but was dead. There seemed to be a lot of yolk under it. Did it hatch too soon and the yolk hadn't absorbed? I feel terrible that I didn't check the nest on the 31st. :(

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Mama could have broken the egg by a mistake and the chick was not ready. I've had that happen.. Remove the chick and let her continue to set on the rest. Unfortunately these things happen.. :( It's happened to me a few times.

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Thank you for your reply. Awww, it was so sad. I hope to come home from work today to some chicks, she got sticky from the yolk but at this point don't want to wash her off? Should I wait until the other eggs hatch?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Don't wash her off until everyone is hatched, and not even then if it's not that bad.

Don't fool with her at all for a while :) I hope the rest hatch for you! It is definitely sad. It's happened twice this year that almost fully developed chicks have been broken like that :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by