What happened to the chick?

liz9910

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Northern California
Hi I have a broody on 5 eggs, hatch date is today or tomorrow. When I got home from work I saw an eggshell next to the nest, I looked under her and there was a chick that had hatched but was dead. There seemed to be a lot of yolk under it. Did it hatch too soon and the yolk hadn't absorbed? I feel terrible that I didn't check the nest on the 31st. :(

Hi I have a broody on 5 eggs, hatch date is today or tomorrow. When I got home from work I saw an eggshell next to the nest, I looked under her and there was a chick that had hatched but was dead. There seemed to be a lot of yolk under it. Did it hatch too soon and the yolk hadn't absorbed? I feel terrible that I didn't check the nest on the 31st. :(
Mama could have broken the egg by a mistake and the chick was not ready. I've had that happen.. Remove the chick and let her continue to set on the rest. Unfortunately these things happen.. :( It's happened to me a few times.

Thank you for your reply. Awww, it was so sad. I hope to come home from work today to some chicks, she got sticky from the yolk but at this point don't want to wash her off? Should I wait until the other eggs hatch?

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Awww, it was so sad. I hope to come home from work today to some chicks, she got sticky from the yolk but at this point don't want to wash her off? Should I wait until the other eggs hatch?

Don't wash her off until everyone is hatched, and not even then if it's not that bad.

Don't fool with her at all for a while :) I hope the rest hatch for you! It is definitely sad. It's happened twice this year that almost fully developed chicks have been broken like that :(

Back
Top Bottom