What happened to this egg??? ** PICS ADDED **

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
I just went out to collect eggs - and saw this ( barely out of the corner of my eye ).

What in the world happened here? these are young birds just about 1 year and they have been laying since Dec - most of them - all are laying now -
I have never had an eye like this I have had wierd shapes and colors but nothing like this !! all my girls are acting fine

here is my squishy egg

S6300355.jpg

here is where it was found - on top of a dog waterer - once in awhile a girl will sleep up here but no one has ever tried to lay an egg here
S6300356.jpg

Julie

It happens. Sometimes if one of your girls is just starting to lay you will get one like this. Got a few of these under the roosts when my girls were starting. They didn't even know they were laying in their sleep! Up their calcium/crushed cooked eggs shells if you start getting bunches of them

I got one like that once, very creepy, aren't they?
I began mixing crushed oyster shell in with the feed and haven't seen one like that since. Although, I can't guarantee the oyster shell and no more squishy eggs are related......

The egg was laid before a shell was formed. This will happen from time to time, but as long as it is not very often it is just one of those things.

Matt

dont panic that is just a soft shelled egg.its just a rubber egg.the hen will put a hardshell on her eggs.an everything will be ok.

all I could say when I picked it was EWWWWWW - man that feels nasty !! it could have very well been laid last night during someone was sleeping - I know one of my LB's likes to sleep up there more than the others.

I will mix some oyster shell in there feed and hopefully not get one of these blobs again ( and if i do I making DH pick it up EWWWWW )

thank you all for your advice and help

Julie

I cant imagine eating it !! it feels so nasty to touch it - I cant wait for DH to come home and see it !! ( and I tell him if we get another HE is bringing it in the house )

I would not think they were safe to eat.

Julie

We've had like 4 of those (mostly on the droppings board- guess it felt like a poop!). They just come out before the shell forms.
old.gif
Happens a lot to very young or old girlies.
We just scramble ours up and feed it to the chickens for a special treat!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom