What happens if a chicken eats a bee? spider?

sixchickadees

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
My chickens are only 10 weeks old, and they don't have much experience when it comes to hunting insects in their run. My Buff Orpington attempted to peck a bee today, and most likely would have pecked and eaten it if I didn't move her away from where it had unwisely landed on the ground in her run. What happens if a chicken pecks or eats a bee? Will it sting them, or will the venom hurt them? Do they know not to eat bees or other insects that may sting instinctively? (it appears not...) What about spiders who may have venom?

In my experience, down the hatch. Of course by the time the insect goes down the hatch it's been pecked so much as to be non-dangerous. Doesn't seem to phase them.

I know some reptiles are toxic when eaten, but as far as I know spiders and bees, wasps, etc. are not. I know I've seen my chickens gobble up the ugly wolf spiders we get in the weeds around here ... it's yet another reason I love love love my chickies, as I hate hate hate spiders! They are absolutely the only thing I "scream like a girl" over (so yeah, I'm a girl, but I'm a tough one ... except with spiders
sickbyc.gif
)

Excellent! I am also terrified of spiders, so I am glad to hear that chickens seem to enjoy them!
wink.png
My Buff Orpington apparently isn't very experienced with bugs (and she is just too nice) that the other day she carried around a moth and then didn't know what to do with it and opened her beak, letting it go.
hmm.png

Does anybody know if blue bellied lizards are toxic? We have tons of them around our yard...

Answer: They will eat a little less mash. No harm will be done and insects/arachnids are good sources of protein and calcium.

I came across an article that noted how you can take the wasps out of those bright yellow hanging traps after they are dead and lay them on something like a cookie sheet to "air out" and diffuse the attractant as its not harmful and in a few days feed them as treats to the chickens. Sounded like a great way to get rid of full traps.

I have not had any problems so far.Even my one dog seems to have a thing for eating bees.

It's funny, none of my 6 girls will touch bees, wasps, etc. If one even flies near they are like 'no, no, go away!!' and the silly things run away. They will eat spiders.

Back
Top Bottom