What happens if a hatchery is wrong on sexing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by kristenm1975, Nov 11, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    In June, I bought three "pullets" from a lady who'd purchased them from McMurray's, sexed as females. One, my favorite, turned out to be a huge gorgeous roo. I was crushed. I'd gotten very attached to the big guy and hated to see him go, but he was driving my insomniac boyfriend insane with his sickly crowing at 4 in the morning.

I plan on placing an order from Ideal in February for 26 chicks and I'm definitely going to order all pullets. If I get roo in the bunch, does the hatchery replace or simply refund?

Thanks!

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Kristen, I think every hatchery has their own guarantees. I think they go by %'s on sexing. I hope someone can answer better because that is an interesting question. I do know that in MM's catalog it states that they guarantee the sexers work. What does that really mean?[​IMG] I'd call the hatchery and ask.

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Most hatcheries that sex guarantee 90% accuracy so unless your order is more than 10% male you will not receive a refund. That being said I have ordered from Ideal many times and they have never been wrong.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Just because you bought pullets does not mean that 100% are pullets. Sexing is tedious and there is a error factor so sometimes, they are just wrong. It happens to us all when we order chicks. [​IMG]

I will add here that most of the time, they are reasonably accurate. Few mistakes.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  5. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Yep the hatchery I get has a 90% rate for sexing. Another hatchery I got chickens from are so good I ordered 600 chickens and only got one roo.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

7. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

I know that sexing isn't an exact science but - I don't know if it was just days someone was being trained to sex chickens or what but my last two pullet orders from Ideal had too many roosters. Re-assure me, it had to be trainees.

8. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    I know that there are some breeds where the boys and girls are different colors as chicks...maybe that is the way to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by