What happens if a hatchery is wrong on sexing?

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
In June, I bought three "pullets" from a lady who'd purchased them from McMurray's, sexed as females. One, my favorite, turned out to be a huge gorgeous roo. I was crushed. I'd gotten very attached to the big guy and hated to see him go, but he was driving my insomniac boyfriend insane with his sickly crowing at 4 in the morning.

I plan on placing an order from Ideal in February for 26 chicks and I'm definitely going to order all pullets. If I get roo in the bunch, does the hatchery replace or simply refund?

Thanks!

Kristen, I think every hatchery has their own guarantees. I think they go by %'s on sexing. I hope someone can answer better because that is an interesting question. I do know that in MM's catalog it states that they guarantee the sexers work. What does that really mean?
hu.gif
I'd call the hatchery and ask.

Most hatcheries that sex guarantee 90% accuracy so unless your order is more than 10% male you will not receive a refund. That being said I have ordered from Ideal many times and they have never been wrong.

Last edited:
Just because you bought pullets does not mean that 100% are pullets. Sexing is tedious and there is a error factor so sometimes, they are just wrong. It happens to us all when we order chicks.
hugs.gif

I will add here that most of the time, they are reasonably accurate. Few mistakes.

Last edited:
I know that sexing isn't an exact science but - I don't know if it was just days someone was being trained to sex chickens or what but my last two pullet orders from Ideal had too many roosters. Re-assure me, it had to be trainees.

Back
Top Bottom