what happens if I get more than one rooster?

tazzy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Kentucky
We have eight buff orpington hens that were born may 07. we had a straight run, so we thought we'd get at least one rooster. we didn't. now we're going to order more chicks, but we want to make sure we end up with at least one rooster. and since chicks don't always make it, we thought we'd get 2-3 roosters. we really need a rooster because we want to have fertile eggs and our hens are pecking at each other and trying to be dominate. a rooster would establish more order. we hope.

again, all buff orpingtons.

what will happen if all three roosters survive? Can they do okay together in one hen house, or will we have to give two of them away?

we'd buy a full-grown rooster, but no one in our area has any available for sale. (we're in kentucky.)

Thanks...

we think we'll get another 3-4 hens as well, but that's it. so about 12 hens. would one rooster be the max for that number of hens?

we'll still order 2-3 roosters, I guess, since I have family members with more chickens who would take the extra rooster.

I think you could have two roosters. I also don't know why you would expect some to die, unless I am just really lucky the chicks that I have ordered have all lived. Good luck! I love my buff orpington roo, well I love all my roos.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Two would be fine, and with only one you might get some infertile eggs, or an overworked rooster.

About 8:1 is a decent ration ... too many roosters will fight for the attention of the hens, and the fights can be nasty. OTOH, some have lots of roosters happily living together.

Buffs are likely to be among the more docile.

My nephew ordered 6 pullets and 1 rooster through his FFA class at school last year. Well, somewhere along the line, his order was screwed up. He ended up with 6 roosters and 1 pullet. OOPS!
th.gif
He later bought two older hens from a local farmer. All of his chickens, hens and roos alike, stay in the same coop and he doesn't have any problems with them except when it's egg gathering time! Then, the only problem is with him being in the coop and robbing the eggs!
lol.png
I have also read someplace that if the roos grow up together, then generally you don't have any problems. Please remember, I am not speaking from my own personal experience on this one. Only what I've seen and read! Good luck!
big_smile.png

thanks, everyone. my husband said the buff orpington roos he had when he was younger were very docile compared to some roos. he thinks we can put all three in there (if we decide on three.)

as for dying in transport, I have heard that that can happen more often when you're getting a smaller amount like we are, but I haven't ever ordered by mail before to know for sure.

I have been wondering about this too, but from another angle.

So many people are hatching and I would love to hatch again but I am wondering what happens if you get lots of roos when you hatch and not enough pullets?? What do people do with the rooster babies?

Quote:
Wait until they get her cornered some day, I wouldn't be surprised to see her get killed. It will happen eventually... It is best for your hens to keep the rooster ratio right in the long run. If you have too many roosters, you need a pen for roosters only, or get rid of them before they get their spurs. JMO

Back
Top Bottom