1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happens to the left over chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CrazyPetunias, Mar 20, 2013.

1. CrazyPetunias

CrazyPetunias Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Michigan
    I stopped by TSC today to get some more bedding for my babies. While I was there, I stopped by to see the new babies. They had about 6 tubs of baby chicks and they all looked to be 1 - 3 days old. Small and cute as a button.

I had bought my 6 chicks at the end of February and they are about 3 weeks old now and are feathering out like crazy. They get big so fast!

So, when I stopped at TSC I was expecting to see some older ones there too. None.

I can't believe they sell out every chick they get in. Does anyone know what happens to the chicks that don't sell?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Each Tractor Supply has a different manager so they may not all be the same, but mine discounts the chicks and ducks until they do sell.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I've also heard that the different stores will discount. People have gotten ducklings for $0.25. They can't keep them in stock around here. Well they do have some older cornish cross but I don't have the space right now for them.

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    The TSC near me sells out the day the chickies come in. So, not sure on older ones as they never have any long enough for that.

5. I think at mine one of the guys that works there takes most of them.

6. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    The TSC around here discounts their birds on sundays. . The day I picked mine up a chinese resturaunt bought 75 ducks.

7. CrazyPetunias

CrazyPetunias Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Michigan
    Wow. I will have to try and find out which day they discount them here. Wish I knew before that they discount them - paid full price ($3 each) for my pullets.

Thanks!

8. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure what my local TSC does. They sure don't discount them, or sell them in batches less than 6.

I had a not-so-nice discussion with our local TSC manager who refused to sell me the last 2 chicks on a Sunday evening. They had been there since Tuesday.... She wouldn't allow anyone to purchase them because there were just 2 and the "6 chick" minimum couldn't be met (and it didn't matter that I had purchased a bunch of chicks the week before...).

It was crazy, and even the district manager said the store manager was wrong in how she handled it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by