What happens when a mate dies

Yaritza

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2015
Our female grey runner duck was killed today. What's going to happen to our male? Do they mate for life, Can they live alone, can you introduce another one. He's coming up on a year old and we're heartbroken for our loss of our girl but also need to think about his well being before it affects his health and it affects him. Thank you for any help.

hugs.gif

An unbreakable mirror as soon as possible will help a bit, as will time spent with you.

He does need companionship. And it can be tricky, because ducks are individuals, and how relationships develop is largely up to them.

Still, we can help them. They need to be introduced carefully, slowly, giving them all time to get acquainted. They can really fuss at each other at first, and sometimes ducks can be aggressive and hurt each other.

But most of the time, given slow introductions, ducks get along, and like to be part of a flock, however small.

Sometimes drakes can become buddies - especially when there are no females. But, sometimes drakes will hurt each other.

I don't want to distress you, but I don't want you to be surprised or unprepared.

Should I try to find a female around his age? Would a younger one be a better idea? Thank you.

I don't think younger would be better than similar age, even perhaps older. That is a good question - whether or not age is a factor in them getting along.

My newest three adoptees are all under two years old, and the rest of the flock is beginning their seventh year. The new girls have assimilated beautifully into the all-girl flock.

You may already know, but there is a Free ReHoming forum as well as a Where Am I Where Are You forum organized by location.

There are also rescue organizations - that's where the most recent seven of my non-Runner ducks have come from. Even veterinarians sometimes have contacts for ducks in need of homes.

Last edited:
I was looking and found a one year old female that lost her mate as well. How would I go about introducing them? Should I keep him In his pen and let her roam the yard so they can meet each other through the coop or vice versa or do I put them in the yard together with supervision or in the pen together with supervision?

Can you split the pen so they can see each other but not touch? That's what I do with introductions.

Then if it looks like they are okay, I let them spend supervised time together in the yard. After a few of those yard meet-and-greets, I let them spend more and more time together unsupervised.

If they are both lonely I reckon they'll get along.

Just lost my female about 2am and one of my drakes just died about 5 minutes ago. I have a drake left and every time I go to the coop he just stares at me and calls for his girl. Breaks my heart!! I’m hoping to get him rehome tomorrow. Fox got into my run somehow, it’s totally enclosed and I found no digging holes. I’m heart broken but have to do what’s best for my boy!

Back
Top Bottom