What has the world come to?

I totally agree. My grandfather passed away at 93 and smoked UNFILTERED cigarettes for most of his life. Was he the healthiest person in the world probably not but he was always doing something. The little jobs he didn't slowed down the older he got but I really do feel that exercise is really the key for most. Like you said every ones genetics are different so every ones story differs. When my grand paw was still around he always preached that people used to actually work. There were not many desk jobs per say and sure not any fast food restaurants available like there is today. He always had a funny quote about his food because he lived on a farm, he used to say "When we ate the food was FRESH, FRIED, and FANTASTIC". They fried food all the time and used butter aka "fat" with just about everything. If you did that now people would say you would die of a heart attack in 10 yrs. Don't get me wrong science has benefited us alot. But sometimes it maybe better to know less about the negatives and more about the positives. STRESS is probably one of the major leading causes of death in my opinion.

Cigarettes of yesterday are not the same animal as the ones of today with the added chemicals so today's are super dangerous and addictive, not the tobacco our grandparents and great grandparents grew up with. I'm anti-smoking, especially after watching relatives die young from emphysema, but what I know that what they were smoking was the "new" stuff.

Same issue with foods. The problem with health today is that no one eats REAL food. In our house, we eat butter, not margarine. We eat fresh eggs, venison for our "red" meat, etc. We don't use pre-packaged convenience meals like Hamburger Helper. I truly believe you can eat what you want, real "high-test" food if it's real and you avoid the chemicals, preservatives, additives in today's modern food, just like my grandfather did and you move your body like he did out on the farm. My dad, his son, is 91 years old and no sign of dementia or Alzheimers. He grew up eating real food every day of his life.

Last edited:
I agree totally, I've always tried to eat like a cave man lol. Whole foods anything with preservatives is not natural not to mention all the hormones they pump into meat now to help the animals grow larger faster. I too agree with the smoking and I have never put a cigarette to my mouth just because I have no desire too. If anyone has ever seen a depiction of a cave man not one of them was fat. They ate whole foods I think they call it a paleolithic diet. Raise your own food and hunt and you should have it made.

Cigarettes of yesterday are not the same animal as the ones of today with the added chemicals so today's are super dangerous and addictive, not the tobacco our grandparents and great grandparents grew up with. I'm anti-smoking, especially after watching relatives die young from emphysema, but what I know that what they were smoking was the "new" stuff.

Same issue with foods. The problem with health today is that no one eats REAL food. In our house, we eat butter, not margarine. We eat fresh eggs, venison for our "red" meat, etc. We don't use pre-packaged convenience meals like Hamburger Helper. I truly believe you can eat what you want, real "high-test" food if it's real and you avoid the chemicals, preservatives, additives in today's modern food, just like my grandfather did and you move your body like he did out on the farm. My dad, his son, is 91 years old and no sign of dementia or Alzheimers. He grew up eating real food every day of his life.
Just a comment. I used to have a friend who smoked the "old stuff'. She bought it in bulk directly from a small family owned tobacco farm. The tobacco came loose in packages like Pepperidge Farm cookies come in, and she rolled her own. Didn't help. She died of lung cancer. Of course she had a cigarette in her mouth from the time she got up until she went to bed. My dad smoked the "old stuff" too. Unfiltered Camels, Old Gold, and Lucky Strike. He died of emphysema. I have no idea whether the additives in modern cigarettes hurt or help a person, but personally, I think whether or not an individual gets sick from smoking has more to do with genetics than anything else.

My dad came from a family of ten kids. They ate all the things the modern nutritionists tell you not to eat. Like eggs, whole milk, lard, gravy, beef, pork, you name it. Very little in the way of fast foods or convenience foods, though. Except for my dad who developed emphysema, and a sister who died in childbirth, they all died in their late 90's. I am sure that if he hadn't smoked, my dad would have lived as long as the rest of his family did.

Theres alot more to things now. What cracks me up is how Organic food is so much more expensive then other food that use pesticides or other chemicals to help them grow faster and larger. Back in the day almost everything was organic in a since compared to now. Theres so many chemicals in so many things that its hard to tell what leads to problems down the road. Genetics does have something to do with your overall health but I still feel strongly that genetics can be changed by a lifestyle change.

Quote: I'm not advocating smoking ANYTHING of any type, Cassie. As I said, I'm completely anti-tobacco, but it's a fact that the tobacco products of today are not the same as the tobacco products of 100-200 years ago. There are additives to make it more addictive to the user now, as with all modern foods with artificial colors, flavors, preservatives and what the heck else they think to put in them.

I'm not getting into any discussion of smoking, was just one example of how everything is different, cigarettes, food, drink, everything. Every society that adopts a typical western diet goes downhill fast. Had nothing to do with fats or calories, but with how natural and close to the earth the diet is, as to how much good health it supports.

Last edited:
I'm not advocating smoking ANYTHING of any type, Cassie. As I said, I'm completely anti-tobacco, but it's a fact that the tobacco products of today are not the same as the tobacco products of 100-200 years ago. There are additives to make it more addictive to the user now, as with all modern foods with artificial colors, flavors, preservatives and what the heck else they think to put in them.

I'm not getting into any discussion of smoking, was just one example of how everything is different, cigarettes, food, drink, everything. Every society that adopts a typical western diet goes downhill fast. Had nothing to do with fats or calories, but with how natural and close to the earth the diet is, as to how much good health it supports.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Not at all. My post was just a comment. Either I wasn't clear, or you misunderstood me, or both. I know you were not advocating smoking or tobacco use. I know the tobacco (and other products) available today are not the same as those available in times past. I have no opinion at all on the additives that are in today's cigarettes. I know absolutely nothing about them. I have no idea what they are supposed to do, or whether they make cigarettes safer or more dangerous, or more or less addictive. I was just saying the old stuff wasn't good for you, either. That's all. Whether it was better or worse for you than the tobacco available today, I haven't a clue.

Deliberately inhaling any smoke in your lungs seems unhealthy to me...
I remember being 16 or 17 an going threw fire training. 15 minutes of crawling threw a smoked up training house. Exhausted we crawl out an rip of our masks an gear. The rest of my crew is coughing there heads off trying to get all the smoke out of there lungs an are shocked to see than I am fine an in the proses of lighting a cigarette. I quit smoking years later...

Smoking is always bad but sometimes it has its advantages. Being able to preform a job in bad air is one of them.

Back
Top Bottom