What hatcheries do YOU recommend?

I have had and will order chicks from Ideal. Lovely customer service, All chicks were heathly and no one died and this coming from a novice.

Best advice is to order from the hatchery closest to you less transit time and less stress on the chicks.

I'm thinking of taking the day off and just driving up to the hatchery to pick them instead of shipping them (thankfully my wonderfull aunt lives about 30 minutes away from them
smile.png
)

Last edited:
I ordered from Cackle twice both times no DOA all healthy and lovely birds.
I also ordered from my pet chicken once and they sent me bantams instead of standards
sad.png
oops

HI ALL
Me, my father and my brother's have order from Ideal Hatchery for many years and I think they have great customer service. The chicks have always been very healthy to. I also have a order in for 25 La Fleche chicks due to be shipped March 10. The customer service this year was great as always and I expect the chicks to be very healthy as always to.
smile.png

William Grace

I just ordered 75 chicks from Ideal and they sent 80. None died in shipping but one died the next day, she was scrunched in the box and didnt make it. They have great customer service. They are great.
43473_ideal_chicks.jpg

43473_img00123-20100107-2031.jpg

this pic was yesterday!!

My local seed store orders from Mt. Healthy. We have some of the nicest EE's. they lay a blue, light green and slightly larger green egg. I love those birds. I will get a few more this spring. there are also the wonderful people on BYC. I love my Blue orp. Thanks Cyn. Gloria Jean

And it seems to make a difference if you live in VA.

I was really happy to find Cackel. They have the birds I am considering. I LOVE the prices and the fact I can get 5 pullets (reasonably assured anyway) of a type. I even read that their EEs have great looking eggs with lots of color (the color is just a "gimmick" I know... but my kids think they are nifty). And someone here said their Faverolles were decent too.

Then I find out that they will ship to Puerto Rico... but not VA. It is due to some sort of test VA requires that they do not do.

GRRRR!
sad.png

While I am sitting here grumbling...

Anyone ever use MyPetChicken? Not cheap by any means... especially for sexed birds. But then... sometimes you get what you pay for. I called them this morning just to ask silly questions. Seem to be "backyard breeding" operations. And I mean that in a possibly GOOD way... not as any sort of slam!

Just realized that someone did... and got banny instead of standard. OK... but was it a NICE banny? LOL (I always try and look on the bright side!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom