What hatchery is the best?

No, I didn't know much about you so I wanted to get an idea the best place. I did want a place close by. But I am only looking for females. I have quite a few boys just looking for females that was why I was considering the hatchery route or to find older ducks in the area. Anconas is a breed I really like and wanted to get.
I currently have a juvenile (fully feathered) lavender tricolor female available if you are still looking!

If ordering by mail i would choose brinkhaven acres or whitmore farms. They do straight run only so they dont kill the male chicks like the other hatcheries do.

Here is one of my australorp chicks I ordered from chickens for backyards. Well.. not so little anymore. They guarantee live shipment on their baby chicks. She is a few days old in the first pic and 19 weeks in the second pic.
DSC05191.JPG
DSC08718.JPG

Here is one of my australorp chicks I ordered from chickens for backyards. Well.. not so little anymore. They guarantee live shipment on their baby chicks. She is a few days old in the first pic and 19 weeks in the second pic.View attachment 1056881 View attachment 1056882

Aww australorps are a favorite breed of mine I have had two females and they are so sweet and gentle I even have a australorp rooster and as far as roosters go he is pretty friendly

Aww! I am sure he is! My australorp pullet used to be pretty timid and scared but now she is sooo friendly and loves attention!!!:love

I've ordered about 20 newly hatched chicks over the past few years from mypetchicken.com. Sexing has been 100% accurate, and all have arrived alive. Only one chick died, day after arrival, undersized and just failed to thrive. HOWEVER, I'm reconsidering my options because of a series of problems. 1) my blue Orp feathered in all black. This is a risk with blues but disappointing. Also my Australorp developed white edges on most of her feathers after first molt. Not supposed to happen. 2) My RIR consistently lays soft shelled eggs and always has, and my lavender Orp had been chronically ill, one thing after another, for more than 2 years.

That's four out of 20 that are not as expected. I can live with the color variations but will eventually lose the 2 sick ones, after nursing them along aggressively for 2 years. I'm going to research other hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom