What have I gone and done?

Mimi13

fuhgettaboutit
6 Years
Jan 6, 2018
Centre, AL
Sooooo, I’ve been dealing with a new little broody this week. They can definitely be persistent, defiant, aggravating, determined, obnoxious, and b***hy! Tonight, for whatever reason, as I was putting up my day’s collection of eggs, I thought, “Hmmm, why not quit fighting with her and just take a chance on her?”

I pulled out 8 or 9 from yesterday’s and today’s eggs. The reason so many is because I am not sure every one of them is fertile. I did quite a bit of baking today and all of the ones I used were fertile. Yep, I checked them all.

I trounced through the rain and mud back to the coop, carton of eggs under my coat with my little headlamp on. It isn’t that bright, just enough to do my head counts after they go to roost each night. I put the eggs (4 blues and 4 or 5 browns) in the last nest she staked her claim in. I walked around and got her off the roost. She had no choice of being on the roost because I had already put netting over the nest boxes. And after I finished putting it up I watched her try every possible way to shimmy around it. Aha! Mimi - 1, Miss Molly Marans - 0!:celebrate “Who’s your daddy? Who’s your daddy?”

Anyway, I set her up on the nest box roost bar and held the curtain back a bit. My light shone in on the perfect little clutch of eggs. She picked gently at the nesting material as she surveyed what was in front of her. If I could have seen her eyes I’m sure they would have looked like a child’s on Christmas morning. Ever so slowly she crawled in over them, a sort of tip-toeing, if you will. I watched her begin to cradle the eggs with her wings (I could only see one wing since she was sideways on the nest), snuggling them in and around her feathered feet and legs. Her breast was already bare as she had already “feathered her nest” earlier.

What have I done?:confused: I have entrusted this pretty little pullet with my tiny treasures. :love

I am getting an incubator for Christmas and I had planned on putting some eggs in it next week, but this freaking wild hair just came over me tonight. :barnie I hope Miss Molly Marans doesn’t disappoint me with crazy and unpredictable hormones and up and leave her new homestead, but if she does, :he oh well, I guess. No, really, I plan on monitoring her ever so closely in hopes that if that does happen I can crank up the incubator and finish out the time in it. I don’t even know if that’ll work or not. I will just keep my fingers crossed in hopes it doesn’t! :fl

Oh lawdy, what have I gone and done? :th

Well I think it’s kinda cool. We all know chickens that brood can hatch eggs but not all of them are good mommy’s once they’ve hatched. Put a little waterer and feed near her and see what she does. I don’t hatch personally I just think it’s cool to do it the old fashioned way. She just might surprise you wouldn’t that be wonderful!!:celebrate
Good luck!

Well I think it’s kinda cool. We all know chickens that brood can hatch eggs but not all of them are good mommy’s once they’ve hatched. Put a little waterer and feed near her and see what she does. I don’t hatch personally I just think it’s cool to do it the old fashioned way. She just might surprise you wouldn’t that be wonderful!!:celebrate
Good luck!
Oh yes it would!

As I’ve been lying in bed, I came up with a solution to my apprehension of her abandoning the eggs mid-stream. I am going to go ahead and set up my incubator tomorrow (that means I’ll get to open a present early :celebrate), Saturday, and put 3 or 4 of tomorrow’s eggs in it. That way the bator will be up and running and there won’t be any startup delay if and when. :hmm No, no, I mustn’t think that way, I know, but......

Oh lawdy, what have I gone and done?
What a great post!! Good story, well told!

I had a persistent broody name Molly Marans too...I gave her away after she hatched last March then went broody every other week all summer.

Not only do you know what you're getting for xmas, you're going to open it early (it's actually wrapped?)! You got it bad!!
Tune up the bator, and just have it on ready in case she bails.
Or let them both incubate....hope you have lots of space for all those chicks!!

Best of cLuck!!

What a great post!! Good story, well told!

I had a persistent broody name Molly Marans too...I gave her away after she hatched last March then went broody every other week all summer.

Not only do you know what you're getting for xmas, you're going to open it early (it's actually wrapped?)! You got it bad!!
Tune up the bator, and just have it on ready in case she bails.
Or let them both incubate....hope you have lots of space for all those chicks!!

Best of cLuck!!
I love talking about my chickens and my adventures with them, but sadly I think I have deafened my family’s ears to all of it. Most of us on BYC have probably met that same fate.

I will bet a dozen eggs that my Molly Marans will be the same way. I can just feel it.

As far as being wrapped? No. :oops: That’s bad isn’t it. My husband didn’t even bother. Anyway, I cannot wait for January 11th +/-.

Oh, I’ve got room for a few more. My main obsession for wanting to incubate was to hatch my own Olive Eggers, but now I think I’d like to experiment some. Who knows. I did want to raise some Cream Legbars and BCM at some point. Who in the heck knows anymore? Not me! I’ve got that dang chicken disease! :lau

Back
Top Bottom