1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What have we created?? Meet Ragnar

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mr Sparkles, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Mr Sparkles

Mr Sparkles New Egg

Oct 7, 2014
    Hello! New member here. I am Mr. Sparkles. A name I took from our pet mille fleur bantam cochin rooster who died today. :( R.I.P. big guy...

Anyway down to business...

I have been wanting to toss a picture of this rooster we got from a blue bantam cochin rooster and a mille fleur bantam cochin hen.

This is Ragnar.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Please forgive me, these pictures don't do him justice. My kids did not want to help me get him into a better pose because helping their dad with the chickens is "boring" He is a striking rooster. I was just wondering if anyone would know what he is or is he just a pretty "mut". He reminds me of a golden Birchen if there was such a thing.

We are hoping to put him with our blue and black bantam hens and see if we can get more with his style coloration. Is there hope to make more like him?

Thank you for your time!!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think you created nothing more than a pretty "mutt." That happens often when crossing different varieties. I agree with you that the purebred variety he resembles closest, though, is a really brassy Birchen.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X3, but he certainly is beautiful.

5. Allieharmon

Allieharmon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    North Carolina
    He sure is pretty! We let one of our hens hatch eggs. We got a Cochin EE mix. He is absolutely gorgeous. He looks like a big, jet black Cochin except that he has black muffs and a black beard. I still can't get over how beautiful he is. Enjoy your gorgeous boy!)

6. As it seems you have gotten your answer, I'll just say WOW he is absolutely beautiful!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by