What have you done for your chickens today?

I re-vamped my nest boxes, thoroughly cleaned the coop, put down new shavings, filled food and water, added another roost, & purchased food/shavings/chick electrolites. Whoa!! That was a lot of work.

Finally, I told my flock of 19 ladies and 1 hansome man how much they mean to me
love.gif

I came home to wet bedding from a 1 gallon waterer tipped over in the brooder. NO MORE! I went to our local pet shop and got two rabbit water bottles. There were a few curious and friendly ones that came to my hand as I was putting the first one in the box. I showed them how. Filled the second one and put it in the other corner. Within 10 minutes half of the chicks had learned to drink! This is going to be great for them and me!! No more wet bedding and they will always have clean water.

I took down a fence to give them free-range access to a half acre they haven't explored before. They were so happy. It's amazing to me how brave they become after a year. For months they stayed close to their hen house. Now they wander everywhere.

Today: Some of them recieved table scraps.

Yesterday: The got some stale bread, they really like that.

Monday: I gave mine some baked sweet potatoes with japaleno peppers, found this atr a local produce stand on special.

Quote:
Left the door opened to their run tonight, they should be up early picking up nightcrawlers in the AM. Mine are really fond of Pizza.
wee.gif
Party time whenever they get some.
gig.gif
Hilarious to watch.

Quote:
64oz. "Water Wells" made in USA and very good. Read the instructions carefully and take some time to set up the mountings right, I have 3 of them set up and all work EXCELLENTLY. Tractor Supply has them for about $10. One local place wants almost $30, bleh. 64oz is a half-gallon, you probably want one per 10 chickens.

It's so nice to see them drinking fresh, clean, water and no mucky mess, no losing a square foot or more of living space to a big klunky metal waterer, etc.

Well, One pen got a new door and new breed of chickens in it, My new lavender Ameraucanas, still babies though.
A second pen got new nest boxes and the third pen got their nest boxes moved.
Getting ready to start my next pen next week.

My project pen got their first oat mash and dairy mixture with veggies, they seemed to love it just ate it up in a matter of minutes. This is my first project and will post when I get results from it.

Back
Top Bottom