What Have You Learned About Poultry Since Joining BYC?

Pics
I have learned how to raise baby chicks- why I joined
I learned how to sex a chicken
I learned anyone can be your friend, even if you fight at first- thanks to @writerskramp
I learned about forums in general- had no idea they were a thing tbh
learned about vent gleet- Yay!
I knew the second one but that first one I’m not Sure I can accept. Speaking of which, I thought Wyandotte was pronounced “Why-An-Dowte” and not “Why-An-Dott.” For The longest time. 🙈
I have been pronouncing it why-nyn-det so it could be worse lol. I don't know where I pull that extra Y from!

That oversizing coop and run and keeping flock size down is the best How to ferment feed and grain. What else to feed flock besides their feed. How many different poops there are!. Odd eggs identity, Deep litter method, Gobs about chicken behavior, and how real chicken math is:gig. And when you're out here being a chicken Momma with questions there's lots a friend's to help.

View attachment 2560237

As an avid reader and learner, BYC has been my go to place for information for many many years on all things poultry! 🐓 🦃 🦚 🦆 🐔 🐤 🐣 🥚

What to do, what not to do, how to handle this situation, or that one. What have other people tried that I could also try, who can I ask for help when I am all out of ideas, and best of all....those who can understand exactly that Christmas morning feeling of excitement when finding new eggs in the nest boxes!

BYC is a wonderful community for learning, sharing, and hanging around other poultry people who just get you. View attachment 2555342

So, what have you learned about poultry? It can be anything, we want to know!
I've learned that chickens are knowable. They are loved as much as dogs. And of those that love them, there are some truly brilliant people on here who have a wealth of knowledge and wisdom when it comes to chicken health and behavior. I feel I owe it to those people, and to my chickens, to learn as much as I can from these people in order to give my animals a life that is healthy, enjoyable and long.
I am grateful for this community and have learned that I don't need a degree to give my chickens what they need. I can learn what I need to know to give them a good life.

Just wanted to add, something mind-blowing I learned the other day is, "Leghorn" isn't pronounced "Leg-horn" but actually like "Leggern." Foghorn Leghorn has lied to you your whole life.

Also (not recent, but something I learned and will hold onto forever) "Marans" is french and is spelled "Marans" with an 's' whether it is singular or plural. Same with "Faverolles."
And the S is silent :) I learned that too.

I'm very grateful to the folks who coached, cheered, supported and held their breath with me when my favourite hen, Queen Mab, had a prolapsed egg. I learned plenty that day about not only how to successfully deal with the prolapse and recovery, but how wonderfully knowledgeable and empathetic this community is. Thanks to those of you who were there on the sidelines for this one. 😘
P.S. Queeny is doing great! She's since layed dozens of eggs without issue and is as cheeky as ever. 😁

View attachment 2560237

As an avid reader and learner, BYC has been my go to place for information for many many years on all things poultry! 🐓 🦃 🦚 🦆 🐔 🐤 🐣 🥚

What to do, what not to do, how to handle this situation, or that one. What have other people tried that I could also try, who can I ask for help when I am all out of ideas, and best of all....those who can understand exactly that Christmas morning feeling of excitement when finding new eggs in the nest boxes!

BYC is a wonderful community for learning, sharing, and hanging around other poultry people who just get you. View attachment 2555342

So, what have you learned about poultry? It can be anything, we want to know!
I love learning all the at home health care for chickens! Also the diy tips and tricks.. like feeders for baby chicks.. also love all the photos of everyone's chickens!

A little bit of.... everything? Including random, borderline life changing tidbits like how I learned that Google Scholar existed while I was here on BYC. :caf

I think some of the best knowledge I gained at BYC is about hatching chicks.
Wow! I just learned about Google Scholar...from YOU. Thank you! 😊

Back
Top Bottom