What have you repurposed while building ?

Pics
Not sure if this qualifies but thinking backward from the topic here, we re-purposed the entire coop and run. We had made a hoop run and a tall, walk in shed type setup. Last year I had to rehome my chickens and get out the "chicken business". But we originally designed our setup with that eventuality in mind. We were already kinda sorta old when we started and each of us had some disabilities, so the reality was that there may come a time when we simply couldn't give them the care they deserved and we'd have to do the right thing by them. So the thought was, "What if we have this stuff in the yard and find out chickens aren't for us? We can either tear the thing down and waste that investment, try sell it and hope that they can get it out of here, or reuse it."

So the hoop run is now a greenhouse and the shed coop is a garden shed for tools. I am so glad that we built with this possibility in mind, because all of this transformation from one purpose to another required absolutely NO additional building or modification. Plans went slightly awry this year and we didn't get it done because of scheduling - way to much traveling for hubby's position in his fraternal organization - but we only have a year of this hectic travel before we get to stay home and enjoy what we've built. In the meantime, all that lovely compost out there is breaking down and will be fabulous for planting.

So I guess my advice for new builders, regardless of materials used, would be to think of how you could reuse what you are building should you lose your entire flock or, like us, find that you can no longer maintain a flock. That way not one penny and not one bit of the work goes to waste later.

IMG_2073.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG

That’s beautiful. Of course I love lattice That sounds like that sounds like repurposing to me
Not sure if this qualifies but thinking backward from the topic here, we re-purposed the entire coop and run. We had made a hoop run and a tall, walk in shed type setup. Last year I had to rehome my chickens and get out the "chicken business". But we originally designed our setup with that eventuality in mind. We were already kinda sorta old when we started and each of us had some disabilities, so the reality was that there may come a time when we simply couldn't give them the care they deserved and we'd have to do the right thing by them. So the thought was, "What if we have this stuff in the yard and find out chickens aren't for us? We can either tear the thing down and waste that investment, try sell it and hope that they can get it out of here, or reuse it."

So the hoop run is now a greenhouse and the shed coop is a garden shed for tools. I am so glad that we built with this possibility in mind, because all of this transformation from one purpose to another required absolutely NO additional building or modification. Plans went slightly awry this year and we didn't get it done because of scheduling - way to much traveling for hubby's position in his fraternal organization - but we only have a year of this hectic travel before we get to stay home and enjoy what we've built. In the meantime, all that lovely compost out there is breaking down and will be fabulous for planting.

So I guess my advice for new builders, regardless of materials used, would be to think of how you could reuse what you are building should you lose your entire flock or, like us, find that you can no longer maintain a flock. That way not one penny and not one bit of the work goes to waste later.

View attachment 1479446 View attachment 1479447

I guess I'm a medical miracle. I grew up playing dodge ball in elementary school. I've never worn a helmet for any activity ...played baseball (in metal cleats) & softball for longer than I can remember. Took out the catcher if he was blocking the plate when I was trying to score. Played tackle football on occasion without pads. Was never picked up in front of the house by a school bus (which I rode for 11 of my 12 years in school). The other year a walked 3 blocks to Elementary school. Hitchhiked before I could drive, and picked up hitchhikers later on. Walked the railroad tracks frequently. Rode in the open back of pickup trucks with team mates. Never used seat belts unless I chose to. Even went trick or treating.

How did I ever survive without all the government intervention?
Idk, but the no helmets thing explains a lot!:gig

I used pallets for hen house, floor and walls, covered with privacy fence slats, old rubber shingles from a tear down for roof. The run fence (chainlink) is from an abandoned lot (full of junk). My silkies have a plastic playhouse from a neighbor for their house. The only thing I bought for my flock is chicken wire, nails and screws. I can honestly say that I have the TRASHIEST chicken coop and run in my area. IMG_20180725_103514.jpg IMG_20180725_103429.jpg IMG_20180725_103801.jpg

Back
Top Bottom