What hens to breed with my BCM x Welsummer roo?

shandiane78

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
Woodinville, WA
My idea is that I would like to preserve the dark egg color as much as possible, while increasing production in the offspring. What type of hen is an excellent layer, but tends toward a darker brown egg color? I have a RSL that's lays an almost terracotta colored egg, but then I've seen other RSL that lay a tan egg. Any ideas? Is there a specific type of RSL that would tend to lay darker? Then again, everyone says not to use hybrids in breeding. But if I'm not breeding to any kind of standard, then why would it matter? The other brown egg lays I have are Buckeyes and Speckled Sussex, but their eggs are pretty light.

I was also thinking maybe Delawares or RIR, but again, I've seen some eggs from these that are a medium brown, yet others a lighter brown or tan color.

Here's my roo, BTW. I think he's pretty darn cool.
smile.png

gooster2.jpg

gooster.jpg

The darker eggs here are from my RSL:

eggs.jpg

TIA!

You can go to Henderson’s Breed Chart

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

to see who lays darker eggs and make your decision. It is pure personal preference. This does not mean that every hen from that breed will lay a darker egg, but it is a good indication. Then when you choose your eggs to hatch, choose the darker ones.

Since you are breeding mutts anyway, I see absolutely no reason to not use hybrids. Some people may get offended if you don't breed to the SOP, but if that is not your goal, what difference does it make?

Thanks Ridgerunner. Looking at the chart, it does look like maybe Delaware or RIR would be my best bets. Or I could cross him back to a Welsummer, because it looks like they actually lay pretty well. I think I'll try all three, and see what happens. Now to get my hands on some...

I'll also be curious to see what happens when I cross him to my RSL! I love her egg color, and she lays EVERY SINGLE DAY.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
My wellies are great layers. Red sex link would be a great choice too, or a black sex link. My EE is a terrific layer too - another possibility for you. (but you said you wanted darker layers)

So I'm wondering what happened with this breeding project. What did you end up breeding and what were the resulting layers and eggs like? Pics?

Back
Top Bottom