What humidity to lock down duck eggs

Ducky2021

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
My eggs have not seemed to lose the right amount of weight and air sacs are on the small side. What would you recommend the humidity be at lock down? I have always had 65-70 in my head as that’s what the duck farmer I got them from told me but I keep reading contradicting things online. Any help appreciated.

My eggs have not seemed to lose the right amount of weight and air sacs are on the small side. What would you recommend the humidity be at lock down? I have always had 65-70 in my head as that’s what the duck farmer I got them from told me but I keep reading contradicting things online. Any help appreciated.
What has the humidity been throughout incubation, and was the humidity gauge that you used to measure the humidity salt-tested? Can you post candling pics of the air cells?

I’ve had them between 40-50 throughout. I stupidly didn’t Sal test as I’m learning all this now and I’ve never hatched before. The only pics I have are from day 22. I’ve had the humidity at 20-30 since then and the air sacs have got a bit bigger since then. Today is lockdown and I’m unsure what to do. Also one of my eggs is not moving. Do I take this out or give it a chance? One the of the eggs leaked earlier on and I’m trying to avoid that but also don’t want to give up on it yet? This was supposed to be enjoyable hatching but I’m an anxious ball of nerves.

Attachments

• 85C36602-9005-4727-9385-1616313178EF.jpeg
    85C36602-9005-4727-9385-1616313178EF.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 6CF9A438-9501-488E-BBD0-B71D30C9BECE.jpeg
    6CF9A438-9501-488E-BBD0-B71D30C9BECE.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 8750D06A-43DA-4E4D-8FAC-12126B057C52.jpeg
    8750D06A-43DA-4E4D-8FAC-12126B057C52.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 6
I would wait until the eggs have pipped internally before raising the humidity if you are still worried about the air cells. I like it higher for lock down, especially for ducks who take longer to hatch than chicken chicks, so I set it around 75%. As long as there isn't condensation inside the incubator it's fine.

If the egg that isn't moving looks full and dark under the sir cell leave it in. A dead baby sinks towards the narrow end of the egg, looks very black and there will be a watery yellow layer between it and the air cell.

This part is always especially stressful and it's absolutely torture with ducklings because they take forever to hatch.

Let us know how you get on.

I would keep the humidity decreased until you see draw down in one of the eggs - that's when the air cell comes down the side as the duckling gets into the final position for hatching. Or possibly even wait until you see the first internal pip.

You may also want to mist and cool them for the next few days. It sounds counter-intuitive, but misting the eggs actually helps them lose more moisture.

The one I thought had died did. It didn’t look the same as the others this morning so I opened it up. Was so cute and perfectly formed. Now I only have 2 left. I really hope they both hatch

Back
Top Bottom