What I call "monkey butt"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenrunfarm24, May 20, 2010.

1. chickenrunfarm24

chickenrunfarm24 New Egg

Jul 9, 2009
    Norton
    I have a flock of year old SLW 3 roos 14 hens They all hatched together and have been raised together. Currently they all have red vent/above vent around tail thing going on, it seriously looks like they have monkey butts. I have checked for mite and lice I see absolutely nothing but I dusted them anyway with DE. No one is picking at each other I sat and watched them for an hour. What could this be??
    [​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:One ugly butt, that's for sure.

I don't see signs of lice either, don't know.

3. ChickenladyinMN

ChickenladyinMN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    Isanti, MN
    I have to keep watching this one. I have several in my flock that look like that too and I wormed them and gave them a bath in dish soap and dusted them. I never saw a thing either but did all these things as a precaution. I put blue kote on it that seems to help especially now that they are out in the sun.

4. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    I've subscribed [​IMG] Same problem here (mine are older though)

5. Friend of Feathers

Friend of Feathers Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    East Central, MO
    I have a Barred Rock with a similar problem. Her "Monkey Butt" is below her vent. I don't know what it is either, but like everyone else will wait patiently for someone to pipe up that does [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by