WHAT I LEARNED ABOUT WORMS AND COCCIDIA!!

I discovered this poo this morning ?!?!? And lost a hen to malnutrition last week after a week of trying to save her. Am I dealing with Coxi?

Good one, Mrs B! You and Dawg are GOLDMINES!

I was back at the vet today. Dinah's legs had red "streaks," as if they'd been scraped with a knife. He wasn't concerned (not HIS chicken!), and said to just continue on the Albon and keep her confined.

She seemed perkier today, though. Eating and drinking well. I gave her a couple of hours out to forage and have some fun. On the way to the vet, I had almost made up my mind to have her euthanized. I just stress way too much over health issues.

Hopefully she'll continue to improve...

Chris

Last edited:
Hi, All. Update on Dinah: she seems totally back to normal. We have 3 days to go on the Albon. Now I'm wondering (worrying) about future re-infection with worms and parasites. Do you recommend regular (every 3 months maybe?) fecal tests??

This hasn't been fun. Wish I had known what we might be in for with chickens. I so enjoy spending (lots of) time with the girls, but the health hazards have dampened my enthusiasm, unfortunately...

You can save yourself vet bill money and purchase a bottle of liquid wormer such as valbazen or safeguard and worm your birds. Either will last you a long time with 2-3 years expiration dates. Your soil conditions dictate how often you worm your birds. Warm moist or wet soil may require frequent wormings. I worm my birds every 3 months, or sooner if it's been raining alot like last year. If your birds are kept on the same soil for long periods (penned,) they'll need to be frequently wormed.

Back
Top Bottom