What I was afraid of...

CoturnixComplex

Crowing
Nov 16, 2018
A few weeks ago I had an ordered box of eggs that accidentally got left out overnight in freezing temps because the seller forgot to update tracking information. I agreed to set them anyways and hope for the best.

I was ecstatic yesterday to see half a dozen pips!

Well, the first chick hatched overnight, and it's badly, badly deformed. Now I'm just sad and don't really want the rest to hatch :( I guess I'm just angling for some good vibes for the rest of the eggs and their poor stressed-out mama.

Thank you guys! It's working! I got a healthy chick within another hour.

Poor little dude. I vowed this time I would not be opening the brooder for any reason until ~24 hrs post first hatch, as I live somewhere with 9% air humidity and it mucks things up instantly. He doesn't seem to be suffering, so he's getting a little extra time to toddle around and cuddle with his sibling. I will have to cull him tomorrow before he starts to be malnourished. I keep looking like he will magically be less messed up and it'll turn out to be just scissorbeak I can try to work with, but his skull is...not right, and he seems to be down an eyeball :( I've had chicks hatch weak and die, I've had chicks hatch strong and die, but I've never had one so messed up and so strong-seeming, it's breaking my heart a little.

I definitely will if he makes it (or doesn't) another ~12 hrs till I pull a batch out. For science's sake, here is his exact deformity:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/deformed-at-hatch-caution-graphic-images.846001/

He is maybe half as bad as the "best" chick in that awful hatch, but I don't see how it would be possible for him to eat normally even if the actual skull deformity doesn't do him in :( He's still hanging in there, though! I'm a little worried about my second chick too now though. They're just....not thriving. Stark difference from my last batch that practically came out of the egg running.

:fl got any more news on the rest of the chicks?

I've got two healthy chicks (yay!), and one more that's struggling in the shell without seeming to make any progress. My gut feeling is that it is not going to be healthy, but we will see. I've got it in my separate tiny incubator ready to assist more if I need to, but I'm trying not to rush it.

Out of 52 eggs that is....bad. Really bad. My hatch rate is not even that high in general due to inexperience, and that is atrocious. It's only day twenty so I'll give them at least until the end of tomorrow (and then I listen with a stethoscope before tossing them), but don't think I'll get many more. Kind of regret agreeing to set them at all, but oh well. Had to try. Two is better than nought! I hope the seller doesn't buck at re-shipping or a partial refund now that it actually has turned out bad.

Little weirdo, dubbed Pugsly, is continuing to break my heart by being charming and active. He can't eat, though, not even hand-fed a little mash, so he is going to be put down this afternoon before he starts to go downhill :( I will some decent pics of him in good lighting first. It's a face only a mother could love, I tell ya what.

Back
Top Bottom