1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What if I got them drunk, would that ease their final moment?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by marie1, Jan 10, 2009.

1. marie1

marie1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    Hello all,
    Me again. Ive got to kill my cockerals tomorrow. Sorry to sound so pathetic but I am having trouble with the whole 'taking of a life thing' and was thinking of feeding them with fruit soaked in alcohol first so they would be sensless at the moment of dispatch.
    Has anyone tried this?
    I have no problems with the physical aspect of slaughter but just dont want them to suffer...for one moment. If I thought they were insensible at the moment of slaughter then I would feel better about the 'taking of a life' bit.....a bit.

Thank you all.
    Marie

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I have no idea what that would do, or how it would effect the meat, but I do know that if you lop of their head with a hatchet they will not feel an instant of pain.

3. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Marie, I have no words of advice for you, as I have never killed any animal, myself (and hope to God that I never have to), but I love you for agonizing about making their final moments painless! If I had to do this, I would try to find the best, easiest (for the animal, not me) way to do it, too. The only thing I can think of, is using "Rescue Remedy" (from the healthfood store), to ease their stress. We had to have an old dog put to sleep years ago, and we gave him Rescue Remedy before we took him to the vet, because it calmed him down.
    Good luck, I feel for 'ya!

4. There is ONE thing you can do to ease these guys stress.

Do not allow the ones living to see the others ones being slaughtered.

They less they know the better. The less they hear the better.

I used to take 3 birds out of the chicken house at a time and walk them down to the slaughter area. I would take one at a time to the place of dispatch and do the deed. The other would be out of sight. The other two, then one would not witness the others being killed.

It really seemed to help them, they were good until the knew it was the end for them. There is a lot of squaking and such. Just be quick and human and be sure to cut the heads off quickly and cleanly. This is probably the best things you can do.

5. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    I don't think Alcohol affects animals like it does people.But I'm not sure either.I'm glad that your sympathetic about it. Some people could care less what they feel.

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    My husband has an aquaintance who was drinking one day and decided to spoon some white liquor down a rooster once. The rooster wobbled and staggered around with his wings drooped and crowed backwards. He seemed to be pretty oblivious to anything much around him. So, apearantly it does make them laid back and intoxicated.

7. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I found these two on YouTube that may help:

8. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    I invited a rooster to dinner myself today. I took him away from the rest of the chickens so they would not see, and hung him by his feet from a branch. I took a sharp knife and cut his head off quickly. No squawking, no pain. Killing is not something to take lightly, but it has to be done if you're going to eat them. I would suggest feeding the processor a shot of alchohol instead.

9. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    My hubby and I are thinking of raising quail for food and this is the part that troubles me. Im all for hunting, farming and all that stuff. I respect the people that do these things so we can eat. But I can't imagine having to do this. I think we as humans have strayed so far from what we are...hunters and gatherers which includes slaughterers. [​IMG] I think it's unbelievable that we'd have such a problem with this knowing where our food comes from. It's almost like when you see it dressed and packaged in the store, you forget that it was alive at some point.

I think growing and raising your own food gives you such a respect for all living creatures and maybe then you won't throw any waste in the trash.. it can go to the dogs, or the chickens [​IMG] or back in the fridge... but maybe it would mean more. I think we're going to give it a swing.

10. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Quail are much, much easier. Just a quick snip of the head with a sturdy, sharp pair of scissors and then place them in the sink. Quail are so easy that we end up doing everything right in the kitchen and make less of a mess than we do when cooking.

You're right. We have moved too far away from our roots. I don't care whether you believe our roots started with monkeys or with mud and ribs - we still don't identify what we eat with a living creature.

I wholeheartedly believe that people should raise their own food. Even if you don't have the stomach to butcher your own birds, or you don't have a green thumb, get in with a group of people who can and do. Swap your tomatoes for their hand at butchering. Raise their chicks to butchering age in exchange for their jams.

We need to understand what it's like to raise real food, and the easiest and cheapest way to do that is to do so within a community.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by