What if I got them drunk, would that ease their final moment?

Well he is dead...but not by my hands. I just could not do the final act and my husband, my hero stepped in. I feel shamed that I could not see it through to the end.

I soaked raisins in whiskey overnight and at the last moment added some mixed corn but it was not there long enough to soak up the booze. He ate all he corn but left the raisins.
I think I will try this again, but soak corn overnight instead. It wasn't a random idea to used food soaked in booze. I have heard that poachers use this method to catch pheasant as it makes them stupified and docile. Easy to catch.

I made a killing cone and put him in it but he flapped out so that bit was not so good and I will improve on that.

In the end I held the Cockeral by the feet in the cone while my husband chopped his head off with branch loppers. It was very quick and very effective and we thought it was probably the quickest cleanest method for us.....and more importantly the cockeral.

I held the feet to keep him in the cone while he died and bled out and there was not too much flapping or struggling so maybe some of the booze did have an effect.

In the end he dressed out at about two and a half pound so not the biggest bird in the world but I will make sure we get at least three meals out of him and he will be enjoyed.

Thank you for all your posts on this one.

Marie

Quote:
Don't feel shamed, you did great! Just because you didn't do the ACTUAL act, you did a lot more than many people, especially especially for someone who was a little nervous about it!

Good Job. I assume it will probably get easier every time. As you learn how to do it the easiest way and your family enjoys the healthiest kind of meal. He did he did what nature intended and that was to nourish your family. He was well taken care of and led a happy life. There is nothing wrong with that
smile.png

congrats on a job well done.
I am glad your chicken has supplied you with food in the end. That is honorable. And you are growing more at ease with processing.

Quote:
I have not gotten up the nerve to slaughter any of mine YET but trust me I would be the one who would need a martini first!! I would not use alcohol, my personal opinion.

Don't feel bad Marie. I took me years to work up to doing the actual deed itself, though I plucked and gutted with no problem. I just recently stepped up to doing the killing part. I found that once I started, I could shift my focus to the mechanics of getting it done as quickly as I could, and that helped a lot.

Between the two of you, a job well done. Good for you, both of you.

If this is your first time to have homegrown chicken, read some threads about cooking them, especially if this bird is older than 12 weeks. If he's cooked properly, you won't have a disappointing meal. Let it rest at least overnight in the fridge before cooking or freezing.

Back
Top Bottom