What if one of our D'Uccles is NOT a hen?

Nic&Chickies

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2010
New Britain, CT
We've noticed the comb is more developed in one of our Mille Fleurs, and they're the same age (25 weeks). I can't believe I'm even considering asking about this, afraid I might be "jinxing" the situation! But if it should turn out that one is a roo, questions arise:
These are quiet chickens, compared to some of my standard-sized ones--would this translate into less problems with crowing?
Can and would a bantam rooster "try it" with a standard hen? (if so, could they even "do the deed"?)
There are prob'ly more concerns, but it's time to start up the family/friend taxi service.

Bantams typically aren't as loud as standards, although depending on how close any stuck up neighbors are it may be a problem. As for being able to mate with standard hens, it is possible. And if they let him mount them he could definitely fertilize them. The only roadblock I for see is the hens, who don't like putting up with a rooster anyway, they may be less inclined to submit to a banty. I guess it depends on how "cocky" he is.

i had the exact same thing happen to one of my friend at school her dad will not allow rooster and one of her millies turned out to be a rooster ........ she told me that when he first started reaching sexual maturity he was a terror and that he would try to breed the large hens and that they would often just ignore him but he can get the job done if he rilly tries , his crow will not be as loud it reminds me more of a squeaky toy lol but good news i think her roo was just a little more excitable and that this breed is on of the more quiet ones

At 25 weeks- I would think that the comb on a roo would have already been obvious. Are you sure it isn't simply a pullet maturing a little faster? Even if it is a roo, though, it doesn't mean he will be a persistent crower. I have had one porcelain roo for 2 months now (mature and mating) and never heard him. Not once.

I've always found my bantam roos or bantams in general more louder than the standards! they seem to crow a lot more too, I'm thinking small man syndrome!
lol.png
lol.png
all roos will crow though so if neighbours are going to be an issue then perhaps you'll need to rehome him, as for trying it on with the standards he'll sure try but whether or not he does the deed is another story!
tongue.png

I have a Mille Fleur roo and he is definitely much more quiet than my standard breed. My roo started crowing at 4-5 months. If it is a roo, I don't think you have to worry about it breeding with yours standards. He may attempt, but I don't think you have to worry.

Back
Top Bottom