What if there was a magic potion to get our chickens to love us?

azygous

Addict
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
It's been on my mind for some time this question of what bonds our chickens to us, and why some are such love junkies and others wouldn't miss us at all as long as food continues to appear. Love, affection, and bonding seem to miraculously happen between humans and between us and our animals. But there is something biological that happens to help these pleasant emotions along. It's a hormone called oxytocin, and our chickens have a variation of it called mesotocin. I've been wanting to explore how this hormone might be stimulated during our interactions with our chickens. It might explain how some chickens become as affectionate and demanding of affection as our dogs and cats.

I take a deep dive into the topic here in my new article on BYC . https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ding-agent-between-us-and-our-chickens.78307/

What do you think? Could this be the magic potion?

I would think the mesotocin must rise rapidly, caused by the movement of the live chicks under a broody hen, but within 3-4 weeks, she forgets her chicks, so it must fall rapidly too.

I really don’t find my chickens affectionate to me. I did play with a flock to a point that they would jump on my lap, but really didn’t care for it, I find I would rather just watch them.

While certain chickens tend to hang together, they do not seem very bothered if one is suddenly gone.

I wonder if the level is pretty low most of the time?

For oxytocin to have a full effect, the brain has to have receptors for the hormone which may not be as numerous in some individuals, both human and non-human. Therefore, "your mileage may differ".

@centrarchid I have watched people interact with their koi fish just as we do with our chickens and other pets.

For oxytocin to have a full effect, the brain has to have receptors for the hormone which may not be as numerous in some individuals, both human and non-human. Therefore, "your mileage may differ".

@centrarchid I have watched people interact with their koi fish just as we do with our chickens and other pets.
I’ll explain after night of sleep

On the chicken side, what I see as interspecies affection is where they willingly approach and settle with a wing in contact with me. This can include the bird settling physically on me. My fully adult roosters and hens are capable of this.

On the fish side, the affection is not directed towards me, rather offspring. I breed sunfishes. Normally, with the exception of black basses (genus Micropterus), once the young leave nest the father has no interaction with them other than to possibly eat them. When confined, where young cannot leave vicinity of father, for some reason the father does not eat them, and I can raise them together and until young are adults.

Back
Top Bottom