What if there were no heat lamps?

I thought about that too when I heard they are going to start taking anything over 100w bulbs off the market. I think they are starting/already started it in Europe.

I don't think, however, that this applies to the big reflective heat bulbs you get at say- TSC or your co-op.

I have one of those radiator-looking oil filled heaters. I keep it next to the brooder and turn it on at night, and the light off. I've found the chicks to be quieter and eat less/make less mess if they have some darkness. (The red bulbs are too hot for older chicks)

I was trying to find a photo of an old one. The best I came up with is this illustration from the Saturday Evening Post.

illustration_281_3_chicks_hatching_cover-400x349.jpg

You guys are great. I knew someone out there could show me what my mother described. I think it is really neat to see how people got by before things like electricity came around. Maybe that is why the little house on the prairie show has always been one of my favorites.
frow.gif

Some of these kinds of old kerosene (coal-oil) heaters would have round reflective disks behind them to reflect the heat towards the desired area of a shed or else they were placed in the center of a room, and brooder boxes were put around them in a circle. at one time I'd found an old article or chapter from an old book that was in PDF format, showing the brooder boxes laid out in the circular pattern with a 'coal-oil' heater in the middle, but I can't find it anymore. Several old ones on this site though again, none of the reflectors...

http://www.milesstair.com/Mini_Kerosene_Heaters.html

I bought sixteen 100 watt equivalent CF bulbs for our layer barn this summer. After I installed them I realized the bulbs were too bright for the layer barn, so I replaced them all with 60 watt equivalants. Today I installed a dimmer that automatically simulates a sunrise/sunset to help the birds go to roost better instead of suddenly switching the lights off. I had to pull all the CFs and switch back to incandescent to use the dimmer since you can't dim standard CF bulbs.

Quote:
I didn't know you couldn't dim those. You could just supplement the light in the morning only, allowing them to have the natural sunset.

Quote:
I have an an old kerosene fired incubator that uses one of those burners. The chimney has a water jacket that heats water that circulates within a loop inside the redwood incubator box. There is a bi-metal thermostat that controls a damper on top of the chimney to control the water temperature. The one in this photo shows the water-jacketed chimney but the burner and its stand is missing from underneath it:

2328_incubator.jpg

Back
Top Bottom