What if there were no heat lamps?

ArizonaNessa

Joyfully Addicted
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Texas
First let me say that I am not trying to get into a debate on ANY safety or environmental views. This is just simply a question.

Okay so I was watching this show last night that was explaining the pros and cons of the fluorescent light bulb versus the incandescent light bulbs and how by 2014 all incandescent light bulbs will be completely phased out of our country. So this got me to thinking about brooders. Heat lamps are just high powered incandescent bulbs right? Please correct me if I am wrong. What on earth is everyone going to use in their brooders to keep the babies warm? Give each chick it's own candle? lol I know there is a simple answer but I guess I am just not up on light bulb technology. At one point in history people raised baby chicks when tons of farms had no electricity. Such as my grandmother. Too bad she is no longer with us or I would just ask her how she kept them all warm.

Just looking for a bit of enlightenment.
frow.gif

Quote:
I have an an old kerosene fired incubator that uses one of those burners. The chimney has a water jacket that heats water that circulates within a loop inside the redwood incubator box. There is a bi-metal thermostat that controls a damper on top of the chimney to control the water temperature. The one in this photo shows the water-jacketed chimney but the burner and its stand is missing from underneath it:

2328_incubator.jpg

Ya know sometimes it makes me kinda sad that we don't have to be as creative as our grandparents and great grandparents were. I have seen some pretty neat things since I join BYC. I just think it is so wonderful when we can do things the old fashioned way and leave all that complicated stuff at the store.

I really appreciate you guys finding the pictures to help me have a better understanding of how the brooders may have been set up. I know it was much harder work back then but I think people had more pride in what they did. Today is so disposable and taken so much for granted. I am very thankful I have things like electricity but sometimes I forget how easy it could all go away. Just the other day the cable company was working on the lines and our cable and internet went down for about 20 minutes. My 7 yr old about flipped when he realized it and looked at me and said, " Mom what will happen to us if it never comes back on?" I was so saddened
hmm.png

So anyone else have a neat picture of some old fashioned ways of doing things on the farm way back when?

Quote:
Where do you keep all this stuff???

We have a 3500 SF shop along with the 3000 SF house. Plenty of room. Even for people who sell Tupperware to come visiting.

The heat lamps will work in the bathrooms, too.

Green with envy.....

Ya know that is a very good question.... I cannot see all incandescent light bulbs being gone though. What about black lights and colored lights, etc. I haven't seen the newfangled ones to replace those yet.

Back
Top Bottom