What if there were no heat lamps?

The hoarder in me says, "BUY BULBS NOW!!!! S-T-O-C-K-P-I-L-E!!!'
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Some of these kinds of old kerosene (coal-oil) heaters would have round reflective disks behind them to reflect the heat towards the desired area of a shed or else they were placed in the center of a room, and brooder boxes were put around them in a circle. at one time I'd found an old article or chapter from an old book that was in PDF format, showing the brooder boxes laid out in the circular pattern with a 'coal-oil' heater in the middle, but I can't find it anymore. Several old ones on this site though again, none of the reflectors...

http://www.milesstair.com/Mini_Kerosene_Heaters.html

I bought sixteen 100 watt equivalent CF bulbs for our layer barn this summer. After I installed them I realized the bulbs were too bright for the layer barn, so I replaced them all with 60 watt equivalants. Today I installed a dimmer that automatically simulates a sunrise/sunset to help the birds go to roost better instead of suddenly switching the lights off. I had to pull all the CFs and switch back to incandescent to use the dimmer since you can't dim standard CF bulbs.

Quote:
I didn't know you couldn't dim those. You could just supplement the light in the morning only, allowing them to have the natural sunset.

Quote:
I have an an old kerosene fired incubator that uses one of those burners. The chimney has a water jacket that heats water that circulates within a loop inside the redwood incubator box. There is a bi-metal thermostat that controls a damper on top of the chimney to control the water temperature. The one in this photo shows the water-jacketed chimney but the burner and its stand is missing from underneath it:

2328_incubator.jpg

Check this out! They are still making those!! hese are both incubators not brooders but yep.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Tools_...t___Kerosene_Powered_Incubator___344462?Args=

Quote:
That's what we had been doing, but it is a large barn with windows only on one wall. The birds on one side of the barn would put themselves up fine at sunset, but at the far end of the barn they would be caught by surprise. We hung some Christmas lights in there for a night light that helped them all to get to the roosts, but the birds would be restless if we left it on, so we had to walk down to the barn and turn off the night light every night after they gone to roost.

Also, running 16 hours of light means we would have to turn on the lights at 12:30 AM to give them 16 hours of lights before dusk in the winter. By the time we would get out there to gather eggs at 7 or 8 in the morning they would have already laid 95% of the day's eggs already and the egg collection belts would be packed with eggs, leading to a lot of cracked eggs. Hopefully the dimmer idea works well and we can keep them on a consistent lighting schedule instead of shifting the time around every couple of weeks to adjust to sunset.

I still cook some of my great grandmothers recipes the old fashioned way and never thought about updating it because there is no need to change it. Makes me wonder how they did other day to day things. Interesting!

Back
Top Bottom