What if there were no heat lamps?

Quote:
I have an an old kerosene fired incubator that uses one of those burners. The chimney has a water jacket that heats water that circulates within a loop inside the redwood incubator box. There is a bi-metal thermostat that controls a damper on top of the chimney to control the water temperature. The one in this photo shows the water-jacketed chimney but the burner and its stand is missing from underneath it:

2328_incubator.jpg

Check this out! They are still making those!! hese are both incubators not brooders but yep.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Tools_...t___Kerosene_Powered_Incubator___344462?Args=

Quote:
That's what we had been doing, but it is a large barn with windows only on one wall. The birds on one side of the barn would put themselves up fine at sunset, but at the far end of the barn they would be caught by surprise. We hung some Christmas lights in there for a night light that helped them all to get to the roosts, but the birds would be restless if we left it on, so we had to walk down to the barn and turn off the night light every night after they gone to roost.

Also, running 16 hours of light means we would have to turn on the lights at 12:30 AM to give them 16 hours of lights before dusk in the winter. By the time we would get out there to gather eggs at 7 or 8 in the morning they would have already laid 95% of the day's eggs already and the egg collection belts would be packed with eggs, leading to a lot of cracked eggs. Hopefully the dimmer idea works well and we can keep them on a consistent lighting schedule instead of shifting the time around every couple of weeks to adjust to sunset.

Ya know sometimes it makes me kinda sad that we don't have to be as creative as our grandparents and great grandparents were. I have seen some pretty neat things since I join BYC. I just think it is so wonderful when we can do things the old fashioned way and leave all that complicated stuff at the store.

I really appreciate you guys finding the pictures to help me have a better understanding of how the brooders may have been set up. I know it was much harder work back then but I think people had more pride in what they did. Today is so disposable and taken so much for granted. I am very thankful I have things like electricity but sometimes I forget how easy it could all go away. Just the other day the cable company was working on the lines and our cable and internet went down for about 20 minutes. My 7 yr old about flipped when he realized it and looked at me and said, " Mom what will happen to us if it never comes back on?" I was so saddened
hmm.png

So anyone else have a neat picture of some old fashioned ways of doing things on the farm way back when?

I still cook some of my great grandmothers recipes the old fashioned way and never thought about updating it because there is no need to change it. Makes me wonder how they did other day to day things. Interesting!

Quote:
Where do you keep all this stuff???

We have a 3500 SF shop along with the 3000 SF house. Plenty of room. Even for people who sell Tupperware to come visiting.

The heat lamps will work in the bathrooms, too.

Back
Top Bottom