What if there were no heat lamps?

Quote:
Where do you keep all this stuff???

We have a 3500 SF shop along with the 3000 SF house. Plenty of room. Even for people who sell Tupperware to come visiting.

The heat lamps will work in the bathrooms, too.

Green with envy.....

Quote:
I do lot's of things the old fashioned way: heat with wood, use a clothes line, bake from scratch, homeschooled the kids, sew(some)clothes,etc. However my dad (who was born in1919) used to say, "People talk about the good old days. I was there. It's better now."

The best black lights that give the cool glow are the fluorescent ones, and fluorescent bulbs come in party colors! You can also now buy dimable fluorescents. I like them all since fluorescent strip lights are the mainstay of my winter time growing season.
big_smile.png

Reptile heat lamps will likely exist even if "incandescent" lights are removed from the market. Halogens will still be around if all else fails since the longevity/compact size/automotive applications will still be around.

For me at least, if all else fails, there are about 150-200 100W lightbulbs in the attic at home dated to about 1970. LOLz. All which are dedicated to chicks too since they are the absolutely only applicatoin they have in our home. Everything else is lit by fluorescent or LED lighting.

Quote:
Yes, you can, but they are pricey. The cheapest I saw at the store were $8. I found them for $5 plus shipping online. I needed 16 of them, so I bought long life incandescents instead.

Who the heck is subsidizing the regular CF bulbs? Many times I see them cheaper than incandescents.

Quote:
I can see his point
lau.gif
my thinking is that I will use my conveniences when (while) I can, but it never hurts to be able to have that backup system in place, if needed.

It is a lot more work to not have the conveniences, and I imagine after your dad went through that by neccesity, he is very glad to have the choice of an easier time to live in.

I think that this is why a lot of "back to the land" folks fail - they have romanticized the "good old days" and don't realize how dirty, sweaty and time consuming it can be. Little House on the Prairie was a neat show, but they skipped a lot of the day to day drudgery in there.

I like to be able to go to the store and buy a loaf of bread or two. I also love homemade bread, but is hard on the back and takes awhile to do.

oh, and I absolutely LOVE indoor plumbing - lived on a farm without it for a few years as a kid. There is nothing worse than going and sitting down, getting all settled, and realizing that there is a wasps nest up in the corner and you have disturbed them enough to be moving around (never got stung in there, but I was always scared I would be)... and don't ask me how many times I was praying that the spiders weren't lurking under the seat of that outhouse, ready to climb up and bite my butt.

That being said, I try to simplify and do what I can to live with much fewer of life's conveniences. But I agree with your dad, I love the switch flipping, handle flushing stuff that I have today.

meri

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom