What in heavens name could be happening with my horse

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
My horse has been staying at a privet stable since November (cause of my knee surgeries). I absolutely know, without a doubt, that the lady and her teenage daughter (18) are taking good care of him.

He suddenly dropped weight. The 4 years I have had him he has been fine on oats and hay (sometimes even could get over weight). Now the vet has him on Purina senior (he is 13) to try to put weight on and stop any more weight loss. He has probably lost 300 or more lbs. Went over today to take more senior, and when I sat down, and was able to see him from the side (not just from his front/face) and he is swayback. He was not swayback just 4 months ago.

An equine vet has done an exam and blood work. Nothing showed up.

There is a teenage girl/brat who has her horses out there. She is 14 or 15 years old and cruel to her horses, who are also being stabled there. She is a hateful kid, nasty and mean to people and horses. She is at the stable a lot when the other people are not there, so she is alone with all horses. She does not want any other horses at that stable except her three. (no she is not the owner, just boards there)

Could my horse be sick from something that didn't show up in common blood tests?
Any ideas what could or would be causing such things that are happening to my horse? And is there something the girl might be doing to harm my horse?

How can he go from healthy and fine to super skinny (ribs sticking way out, hip bones stick way out) and have his back suddenly drop like it has, in only 4 months??????? He was not thin when he was here and has been good and well built and excellent weight the 4 years I have had him?

As I said, I know the people who are stabling him there would not in anyway hurt him or do anything bad to him. I know they would only take super good care of him. I had not been able to go see him since my second surgery Feb. 7.
They had called me shortly before that to tell me he had all of a sudden been dropping weight, so contacted equine vet. Who put him on the senior food. I had seen him the month before the sudden drop of weight and he was fine. (however it was after that, that the girl started throwing fits about wanting only her horses to be there)

Last edited:
If I would be you, I would take my horse from this stable ASAP. I had an issue like you and it came out, that a kid was riding the horse really hard, so it can't eat so much than it needed to. And of course, the kid was riding the horse without permission and only if nobody was around. After I took my horse home, it started put weight on from day 1 on

His teeth are okay? Has he been wormed recently? What does his poo look like? Is there signs of him chewing in his stable? Can you hide a little camera in the stable (that won't get found)?

His teeth are okay? Has he been wormed recently? What does his poo look like? Is there signs of him chewing in his stable? Can you hide a little camera in the stable (that won't get found)?

I like the camera idea. I'm by no means a horse expert, but not being able to be around him when this little girl is, would scare me. I'm not sure what she could do that wouldn't raise some suspicion in the blood work, but you never know. I also agree that you need to rule out what blueferral posted. However, if the vet had looked at him, I'd imagine those things would of been covered. I'd move him too, if only temporarily, if it is at all possible.

I agree with the first post - are you sure it isn't worms? Older horses* can be more prone to worms and the like. Either that, or perhaps the girl has been causing your horse stress. The camera's an excellent idea. I hope your horse is alright. :)

*Oops - sorry. When I read your post the first time, I thought you had an older horse.

Last edited:

He is on yearly rotational worming. Valley Vet's Premium yearly worming is what I use. His poo is fine and normal. No chewing on wood or anything else.

Equine dentist saw him not long ago.

No place to hide a camera.

Besides the rapid extreme weight loss, why would he all of a sudden have a swayback?

Is he truly swaybacked or does he just have a scoopy/deep back? People sometimes think one of my geldings is swayed back but he isn't. He just has a scoopy back, a conformational issue not a health issue.

Is he sound? What type of hay do they have him on? Is it free choice? If not, how much are they giving him?

He is still young, 13 isn't old. However I agree the senior feed is good for putting weight on horses of any age. If that girl is bothering him, it could be stressing him out which can put a horse off his feed as well.

I agree with PP to remove the horse and see what will happen if stabling him some where else changes anything that is going on. Tell the girl and her mother you just want to see if a different atmosphere will help your horse gain weight again. If it is stressed induced by this young girl, then the stable owner should either be talking to her parents and telling them if things don't change her horses will have to be boarded somewhere else.

Also then you can confirm if your horse is truly sick or if something is causing it to lose weight at the stables.

Back
Top Bottom