What in tarnation is wrong with those chickens?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ol'FashionHen, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Is what I asked my SIL about her SS chickens. They look terrible. I have not experienced a molt with my chickens yet. But I don't believe that is it. My SIL says they pull each others tail feathers out, and they have runny poop all over their bottom halves and ones vent was so red, they just looked horrible. I asked her if they checked them for mites or anything and she said I don't know, they are not my chickens. [​IMG] .. I was not about to even go near them out of fear of bringing anything back to my flock, but I wanted to so bad. the poor things. And they still are eating the eggs they lay, she gives some to my MIL too. I told my Dh to tell his mom not to take any more eggs from them. They are not healthy. Would any of you know what ailment those chickens may have?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Honestly it sounds like neglect to me. Runny poop, picking feathers, red vent - all cause for concern.

3. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I would do the hens a favor, but call it a favor-to-the-SIL in disguise. Order her some D.E. to sprinkle in the coop and on the chickens. Call it her early Christmas present.
    Save an itchy hen from misery.

Edited because I cannot spell.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    The eggs are not going to hurt anyone. Don't worry about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by