What in the world is in my egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chrizjen, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Chrizjen

Chrizjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    St. Louis
    This egg is from a Barred Rock that has been receiving extra vitamins and eggs. Are thse eggs edible? Any idea what the brown spots are? At first I thought that it was shell but it was not.
    [​IMG]
    Only look at the spots closest to the yolk. The ones in the background are my counter top![​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It is a blood spot. I believe that it comes from a hemorrhage while it forms in the hen.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Those are what they call meat spots. they are harmless, and it happens sometimes.

4. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Blood from the chicken can get into the yolk occasionally while the egg is being formed, especially if she experiences any stress during the process. For example a dog getting into the hen house and chasing the hens around. Or maybe a domineering roo. Nothing to worry about. You can remove it with a spoon before cooking if you want, but there is no danger in it.

5. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    thats a meatspot, not a bloodspot. Its part of the follicle that comes off when the egg is leaving the ovary I believe. I did alot of research on it because my girls have these in their eggs quite often. A blood spot is a little hemmorraged blood, like the PP said.

Here is a link with info on bloodspots and meatspots:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/29/meat-spots

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by