What in the world is this? (pics)

SewingMom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 26, 2010
This is what I found when I cracked open an egg into a bowl this morning a regular yolk and white plus this other thing. I'm almost afraid to ask what it is!
I hope these pictures aren't too big.

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

Looks like an egg forming in an egg.... Happens sometimes though I have never seen one personally from our hens I have seen them posted here. I have seen other funky stuff though over many years of keeping chickens
sickbyc.gif

When the egg starts its journey through the hen's internal egg laying factory, it can pick up things inside her body cavity. If a small blood vessel ruptures, you get a blood spot. If something else is there, it can get into the egg. You don't see that kind of stuff in commercial eggs because they electronically candle those looking for that kind of stuff before they make it to the egg carton.

My guess is that an undeveloped egg yolk got caught up when the egg started its journey. It is probably safe to eat, but I doubt I would.

Ok, I'm glad that's all it is
smile.png

I was scared it was a developing chick because it has what looks like blood vessels running through it. I would have felt terrible if I cracked open an egg and killed a baby. I collect eggs every 12-14 hours so I would have been surprised if a chick could develop that quickly.

Back
Top Bottom