what in the world is this?

notiones

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 12, 2011
Big Springs, KS
One bird is losing feathers and weight. Here is a picture of what just fell off of her. Of 12 hens, I'm only averaging about two eggs a day. None of the other hens looks like this and I'm sure it's not contagious, or at least I hope not.

I did find some bugs so we have dusted them the last two Sundays, but this poor girl was already going down hill when we started.

Looks like she's going through her yearly molt. You can see the new pin feathers coming in too which is good. What you found looks like a clump of poo-caked feathers that fell off all at once because they were all stuck together. She needs extra protein to help her grow back the feathers, so switching to a chick feed for a while wouldn't be a bad idea. They also don't lay while molting, so that explains your drop in egg production.

I agree, it looks like she's molting. Your other hens might not be far behind. To assist her in her molt, give high protein foods like scrambled eggs, mealworms, and wet cat food. Make sure that other chickens don't pick at the new pinfeathers coming in. She'll be finished molting in a few months.

I agree, it looks like she's molting. Your other hens might not be far behind. To assist her in her molt, give high protein foods like scrambled eggs, mealworms, and wet cat food. Make sure that other chickens don't pick at the new pinfeathers coming in. She'll be finished molting in a few months.

X2

Thank goodness that's all it is. I've been feeding them scrambled eggs lately and I can easily supplement their feed with cat food and higher protein feed. I'll visit the farm supply tomorrow and pick up what I need.

Many thanks!

Thank goodness that's all it is. I've been feeding them scrambled eggs lately and I can easily supplement their feed with cat food and higher protein feed. I'll visit the farm supply tomorrow and pick up what I need.

Many thanks!

You're welcome! Black oil sunflower seeds are good, too, as they contain lots of good oils that make pretty feathers.

Back
Top Bottom