What incubator to buy!

I'm thinking of hatch a few of my chickens egg,may-be 10 or 12 to start. Wondering what mitt be a good kind of incubator to buy?
welcome-byc.gif
You'll get all kinds of advice on this one . $ verses use . Use is really the key to choice . If you have a stable environment to hatch in Ideal 68 to 70 degrees constant temperature . A Styrofoam forced air little giant or farm innovators from Tractor supply will do just fine and investment cost is small . They are a good choice for beginners.If you decide hatching is not for you then your not out a small fortune. If your not there for the 21 day incubation to hand turn you'll spend around $60 add a auto turner and it goes to over a $100 . But you can spend a lot more . Try finding a used one . It doesn't matter if you spend a little or a lot the more stable the environment the better incubators will work .
I have 3 different incubators, one being the HovaBator Genesis 1588, one a Farm Innovations Pro Series and one a less expensive circulated air non digital one. I want a cabinet one but have to wait. By the end of this hatching season I hope to be able to afford one.

Howdy neighbor well your not more than a hundred miles from here.I got older model GQFs at auction that needed work and still spent a lot . Got at least $450 each in two with turners and $300 in the hatcher without a turner . Watch CG they come up every once in a while . One like mine sold in Woodbury for $400 last fall . My hatch rates aren't great but they are in the barn whatever the temperature is that's what they work in .

:welcome   You'll get all kinds of advice on this one . $ verses use .   Use is really the key to choice .  If you have a stable environment to hatch in Ideal 68 to 70 degrees constant temperature . A Styrofoam  forced air little giant or farm innovators from Tractor supply will do just fine and investment cost is small . They are a good choice for beginners.If you decide hatching is not for you then your not out a small fortune.   If  your not there for the 21 day incubation to hand turn you'll spend around $60 add a auto turner and it goes to over a $100 . But you can spend a lot more . Try finding a used one . It doesn't matter if you spend a little or a lot the more stable the environment the better incubators will work .

Howdy neighbor well your not more than a hundred miles from here.I got older model GQFs  at auction that needed work and still spent a lot . Got at least $450 each in two with turners and $300 in the hatcher without a turner  . Watch CG they come up every once in a while . One like mine sold in Woodbury for $400 last fall . My hatch rates aren't great but they are in the barn whatever the temperature is that's  what they work in .

See, I'd never recommend the little Giants, at least not the new digital ones, especially for new hatchers. You're a brave man...lol :hugs
But I agree that you don't need a Brinsea to have a good hatch either.
1f609.png

See, I'd never recommend the little Giants, at least not the new digital ones, especially for new hatchers. You're a brave man...lol
hugs.gif

But I agree that you don't need a Brinsea to have a good hatch either.
1f609.png

I agree, there is many incubators that can be recommended---I recommend the 1602n forced air only because I have one and it works great. I would Never even try one of the TSC little giants digital because I have seen many go back, many have lost eggs in them--I have a friend that went and bought 3 of these incubators, then put her others up for sale at the Auction the day she bought these---3 weeks later 0/ZERO eggs hatched--the temp was way off she had all 3 full---some of those Black chicken eggs in one---She was so sick. She spent a lot of time on the phone with the supplier, TSC etc---it did her no good---she was just out.
I do have several older little giant--- I put fans in that do good.

I would for Sure get feed back on what ever I decided to go with from experienced hatchers before I went and bought Any Kind.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
You'll get all kinds of advice on this one . $ verses use . Use is really the key to choice . If you have a stable environment to hatch in Ideal 68 to 70 degrees constant temperature . A Styrofoam forced air little giant or farm innovators from Tractor supply will do just fine and investment cost is small . They are a good choice for beginners.If you decide hatching is not for you then your not out a small fortune. If your not there for the 21 day incubation to hand turn you'll spend around $60 add a auto turner and it goes to over a $100 . But you can spend a lot more . Try finding a used one . It doesn't matter if you spend a little or a lot the more stable the environment the better incubators will work .

Howdy neighbor well your not more than a hundred miles from here.I got older model GQFs at auction that needed work and still spent a lot . Got at least $450 each in two with turners and $300 in the hatcher without a turner . Watch CG they come up every once in a while . One like mine sold in Woodbury for $400 last fall . My hatch rates aren't great but they are in the barn whatever the temperature is that's what they work in .

I think I was down your way today as we went to M-boro and picked up 12 Brahama chicks today.

I highly suggest the Hovabator Genesis 1588 to anyone looking to start.  The cost is reasonable, the controls are easy to understand and use and the plastic tray in the bottom make clean up so much easier.

I have the 1583, which is the non digital version of the 1588 and I love it.

There are many ways to have a successful hatch, but I LOVE my Brinsea! It is incredibly accurate, easy to customize, and so much fun to watch. Just finished with a 100% hatch rate and 21 days of worry-free incubation. I'm a worrier, so for me, it was very worth it to have a bator that I could trust. I loved the automatic turner, the easy viewing, and the simple humidity control (I went with the new model, which has an external fill point for humidity control, and it was a dream!) You asked for recommendations, and I recommend the Brinsea without reservation! Best of luck in your hatching adventure!

I use a Genesis 1588 as my large incubator. It is easy to use, reliable and not very expensive. For small hatches I use a 1976 Marsh Turn- X TX-4 that I inherited. I had to add some upgrades to make it set and forget. It is a great incubator, but only holds 10 large chicken eggs.I have young kids and they like the clear dome, so they can watch the action!

Back
Top Bottom