What incubator

Strummer

Songster
9 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Edna tx
I'm new go quail ,will be starting to build my coop in a few days . Plan on a&m quail . What kind of incubator do y'all recommend ? I'm going with 4 females 1 male to start with . And migjt move up to 8 females 2 males

I'm new go quail ,will be starting to build my coop in a few days . Plan on a&m quail . What kind of incubator do y'all recommend ? I'm going with 4 females 1 male to start with . And migjt move up to 8 females 2 males

Wish we were closer I could get you started with the Texas A&Ms. I keep 3 set of breeders 5 to 1. If you get 2 sets make sure to keep them apart or the roosters will fight. Not sure about the incubator, how many eggs you want to set? What is your price range? What brand is the one you have now?

Right now I have a little giant still air . I'm on a pretty small budget for an incubator . I just found a forced air at tsc for 129 but would still need quail egg racks . Heck I can do 5 to 1 also . I plan to build separate pens like my rabbit hutch . Where are you at ? I still haven't found my quail yet

Right now I have a little giant still air . I'm on a pretty small budget for an incubator . I just found a forced air at tsc for 129 but would still need quail egg racks . Heck I can do 5 to 1 also . I plan to build separate pens like my rabbit hutch . Where are you at ? I still haven't found my quail yet

I have a little giant also one of my first one. You might think about adding a small computer fan in the top of it to make it forced air it will make a lot of difference in controlling the temp. You can get a 12vdc one off of ebay for a couple bucks. You could get the quail racks for it or just roll them around 4 or 5 times a day. I've since built me a real nice one out of a wine cooler, actually have two of them now can do 320 eggs at a time in the big one. When I started I had my quail in a rabbit hutch but now have all wire cages where the eggs roll out the front. I'm located in fort worth, If your ever in the area stop by. If I can help with any thing else let me know

Thanks . I think I have a pc fan laying around here somewhere . Any chance you can send me a pic of your set up ?
I have a little giant also  one of my first one. You might think about adding a small computer fan in the top of it to make it forced air it will make a lot of difference in controlling the temp. You can get a 12vdc one off of ebay for a couple bucks. You could get the quail racks for it or just roll them around 4 or 5 times a day. I've since built me a real nice  one out of a wine cooler, actually have two of them now can do 320 eggs at a time in the big one. When I started I had my quail in a rabbit hutch but now have all wire cages where the eggs roll out the front. I'm located in fort worth, If your ever in the area stop by. If I can help with any thing else let me know

I've got a Little Giant with an electronic thermostat and a Hovabator with a wafer thermostat, Both have fans. The turner racks are a must have. Both are styrofoam and basically the same bator, but made differently so that the racks, heaters, fans etc will not interchange with each other. In my experience the electronic thermostats are better because the wafers are flakey and fluctuate every time the weather changes. The chicken racks will hold quail eggs, just not as many, like 7 vs 20 for each of the 6 racks. Even when not being used I leave both bators turned on-they've been running nonstop for 3 years without a problem. If there is a problem parts are readily available on eBay or from the manufacturer.

I recommend the Genesis Hovabator 1588 from incubatorwarehouse.com... you can get it with the quail racks... bit more pricey than a LG, but absolutely much better, more stable and reliable...

ETA- I forgot, they have a new turner now... if you look for the Genesis that has the IncuTurner, it doesn't need quail racks...

Last edited:
Thanks . I think I have a pc fan laying around here somewhere . Any chance you can send me a pic of your set up ?

Strummer, here are a couple pics of the one I built out of a wine cooler. For heat I used the Incukit Unit, it has a digital thermostat, heater and fan all in one unit. I have about $125 in this, the incukit is kind of pricey but worth every penny. I can put 4 of the egg tray in it (320 eggs).

Back
Top Bottom