What is a fair price?

emvickrey

ChowDown Silkie Farm
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Hornbeak, Tennessee
I have 2 pair of Georgia Giant Bob Whites and I was thinking of selling them. What would a fair price be for each pair. One pair hatched last spring and the other pair this spring. They are all a nice size and healthy. I don't have any recent pics of them to show you all but I'll have to get some today.

I figure about what it cost me to produce them plus 30% profit. So if they cost you $10 to produce then your fair price would be $13 and add in shipping if you have to ship them but I don't like to kill folks on shipping so I usually charge exactly what it costs to ship to their zip code.

Just my opinion and there is the school of thought that fair price is what the market will bear and by that they mean if the product is rare and in great demand then there will be a premium placed upon the product that may be many times the costs of production. In the car business this results in cars selling at 3 to 400 % over the actual cost to put the car on the lot ready for sale.

Jim

I figure about what it cost me to produce them plus 30% profit. So if they cost you $10 to produce then your fair price would be $13 and add in shipping if you have to ship them but I don't like to kill folks on shipping so I usually charge exactly what it costs to ship to their zip code.

Just my opinion and there is the school of thought that fair price is what the market will bear and by that they mean if the product is rare and in great demand then there will be a premium placed upon the product that may be many times the costs of production. In the car business this results in cars selling at 3 to 400 % over the actual cost to put the car on the lot ready for sale.

Jim
I know that laying hens are worth more than those too young to lay. Roos practicaly have no value except to the person in need of one. BW's don't consume alot of feed nor do they produce alot of poop to clean up. BUT...... it takes longer for them to mature so it takes longer to get eggs from them. In general they are seasonal breeders but they can produce all winter if provided with the right amount of artificial light. I did it last year. My oldest hen took a short winter break then started back up.

Since I don't have any idea how much it costs to raise them to this point I couldn't calculate their worth. I would like to put them up for sale but I want to ask a fair price but don't want to charge too low. I was thinking $25 a pair. I know I have more than that in them as far as feed goes. That wouldn't include any extras to keep them healthy.

If there was somebody wanting an established pair, would that price seem fair. Something someone would be willing to pay if they wanted them? Sorry I didn't get pics today. It was just one of those days.

for bobwhites i wouldnt pay more than 16 bucks for a pair... i get my bobs for 5.00 per adult and my californias, bluescales, and gambels at 8.00 a bird, i could see paying more for a seasoned bird if it wasnt the end of laying season but if you think about it, the buyer is now going to have to carry the birds for a full season before they lay again any ways, so in my opinion your birds would be worth less because it ages a whole year before it lays again and the buyer wouldnt get as many years of laying out of it as they would if they bought a younger pair and had its first year of breeding start next season. just my opinion of course.

for bobwhites i wouldnt pay more than 16 bucks for a pair... i get my bobs for 5.00 per adult and my californias, bluescales, and gambels at 8.00 a bird, i could see paying more for a seasoned bird if it wasnt the end of laying season but if you think about it, the buyer is now going to have to carry the birds for a full season before they lay again any ways, so in my opinion your birds would be worth less because it ages a whole year before it lays again and the buyer wouldnt get as many years of laying out of it as they would if they bought a younger pair and had its first year of breeding start next season. just my opinion of course.
Thats what I'm looking for is opinions. I had sold a younger pair that had just started laying a few eggs for $5 each almost a month ago. I thought I had lost out on that one but as you explain it your right. If they wanted eggs thru the winter they would have to provide the amount of light required and even then they may not lay. My older pair did lay in the winter.

Thanks for everybody's input. I don't want to cheat anybody much less myself.

but on the other hand its all about the money... lol... if some one will pay 25 for the pair take it... i once got offered 50 dollars for a male mexican speckled, i turned them down because it was my only male but its all about supply and demand.

It's getting to be the time of year where people are thinking of thinning out their flocks for winter. If I don't sell them soon i'll have them till next year.

Back
Top Bottom