What is a good broody bantam to get?

My banty cochin mixes (and they are tiny, smaller than a silkie) can cover a lot of eggs. One, on her first hatch at only six months old, hatched 13 out of 16 eggs. She raised all of them without losing any.

I'd say cochins, as they along with silkies have a natural tendency to brood whenever possible. But it seems that a lot of it has to do with what background the birds have genetic wise as far as brooding tendencies go, some lines of the birds having a great backgound for being broody, while others not so much. Either way, good luck getting some birds
smile.png

Silkies are great broodys, I have a RIR bantam hen that is even better because she is a good broody but can see a lot better and is really protective of her chicks and won't let any other birds near them but let me pick them up
love.gif

Thank ya'll for all the quick replies! May you post some pictures of the breeds you have mentioned? I would like to pick a really pretty bird for a broody, since I already have white, black, buff, and brown Are there any Polish, Buff Brahma, or Porcelin d'uccle bantams? I really like the color of the Porcelin d'uccles (the ones with creamy colored bodies and shiny white-blue spots.) I also love the look of Buff Brahmas.

My two little Millie Fleur d'Uccle bantams go broody all the time. Here they are, not looking their best in this pic due to too much loving from my roo (feathers missing and broken.)

10133_img_6791.jpg

im really surprize no one said banty games...i had silkies before but they werent just my thing( no hard feelings to silkie lovers, some chickens work better for differnt people) but banty games are my best brooders and are the best moms...

I get my Silkie hens to hatch 6 to 8 large eggs on a regular basis. When I absolutley, positively, need a great hatch, I use the silkies. I have used them to hatch peachicks, call ducks, pheasants, and other "hard to hatch" eggs.

yep, fully agree!

As for the question of polish , I have quite a few different ones in bantam, but they would be your absolute worst pick for a broody bird, out of probably 60 or so hen, I've had one, (1) go broody for about 2 weeks!
I have the porcelains in d'anver, not d'uccle, I need to get some pics of them anyway, will try to post them for you as soon as I can.

Back
Top Bottom